|Printer Friendly||Email Job|
Congregation HEA in Denver seeks an innovative and passionate candidate to serve as musical director for Shir Hadash services.
About Shir Hadash
Shir Hadash is a unique musical Shabbat morning service that has received national recognition as a model of spiritual innovation. To better meet the needs of a diverse community, HEA created Shir Hadash in 2012 as a second service option alongside our traditional-egalitarian service. Learning from creative spiritual communities like Ikar, Romemu, Hadar, and B’nai Jeshurun, Shir Hadash aims to engage the hearts, minds, and voices of participants through lively and accessible prayer, music, chants, niggunim, and Torah study. Shir Hadash happens every Shabbat morning throughout the year, running from 9:45 to 12:00 noon and is attended weekly by 80-115 participants. We also hold Shir Hadash High Holy Day services. Each service is led by one of our two rabbis along with the musical director and a diverse group of volunteer singers and hand drummers called the Davening Team, who model active engagement for the congregation.
The Shir Hadash musical director is responsible for organizing and helping to lead weekly Shabbat morning services, as well as High Holy Day services. On a weekly basis, the musical director selects the music and prayers and assigns roles for the davening team, actively incorporating b’nai mitzvah students in leadership roles. Working closely with the two rabbis, the musical director leads periodic team meetings to teach and arrange new melodies and also organizes rehearsals for the High Holy Days. During most of the year, the musical director works approximately 5-8 hours a week (3 of which are the service itself; about 2 hours a week of organizational work, which can be done independently. Occasional rehearsals are about 2 hours long). Leading up to the High Holy Days there are some extra rehearsals.
• Lead the Davening Team, a mixed-age group ranging from age eight to 85.
• Create weekly outlines assigning roles within the service to the Davening Team members present that week.
• Schedule and run rehearsals to teach new melodies and improve old ones.
• Lead the Davening Team at the Shir Hadash High Holiday Services (Rosh Hashanah 1 & 2 morning, Kol Nidre, Yom Kippur morning).
• Schedule and run High Holiday rehearsals and create High Holiday service outlines with assignments.
• Ensure continued ongoing participation of all b’nai mitzvah students in the year before their b'nai mitzvah, in coordination with their tutors.
• In communication with the rabbis, seek out new melodies and prayers for Shir Hadash.
• An innovative and inspiring Jewish song/prayer leader with a vision for creating meaningful prayer experiences for the community.
• Musical talent and skill, particularly in the arrangement of vocal music and percussion. Ability to teach non-musicians to sing. Shir Hadash has a “folk” style of singing.
• Knowledge of traditional and contemporary Jewish liturgy including nusach for Shabbat and High Holy Days and familiarity with contemporary musical services. The musical director works with the rabbis to procure new melodies.
• Strong Hebrew reading.
• Experience organizing singing groups and generally strong leadership skills.
• Availability on nearly all Saturday mornings (aside from approved vacations).
• Superb interpersonal skills and ability to project warmth and kavvanah (sincerity in prayer). The ideal candidate will be a leader who can inspire participation, collaboration and build relationships.
• Students studying for b'nai mitzvah join the davening team about one year prior to becoming b'nai mitzvah. The musical director will need to work with the students to integrate them into the team. The director has the option to serve as a b'nai mitzvah tutor (for which they are paid by the families).
• Familiar with Conservative Judaism.
About our Synagogue:
Congregation HEA is an 850-family Conservative synagogue in suburban Denver dedicated to helping people flourish with the wisdom of Judaism. We are a dynamic and diverse synagogue that welcomes anyone seeking a deep and meaningful experience of Judaism through the study of Torah, inspirational prayer experiences, and working to improve the world.
Supervision: The Shir Hadash musical director will be supervised by the senior rabbi in consultation with the associate Rabbi.
Duration: approximately 5 hours a week.
Salary Range: $200 per Shabbat service (which includes prep time), $50 for each rehearsal and additional pay for four High Holy Day services.
Benefits: Unpaid vacation with prior approval.
Preferred experience: 2 years
Location: 3600 S. Ivanhoe Street, Denver, CO, 80237
Contact: Rabbi Bruce Dollin, email@example.com, 303-758-9400
|Benefits||no additional benefits. Unpaid vacation.|
|Ad Posted On||2019-12-18|
|Times this Ad has been viewed||490 times|
|Ad is posted for||90 days|
|Organization Name||Congregation HEA|
3600 S Ivanhoe St
|Application Instructions||Please log in to Apply|