Working closely with both the greater Jewish community and UConn community, you will help take UConn Hillel to its next phase of growth by joining UConn Hillel as our Development Director. You will power Hillel by connecting people to our community and raising vital funds. This position offers an opportunity to creatively stretch your fundraising, community development and project management skills by raising money for the annual campaign, nurturing key strategic relationships with the Jewish Federation system and local foundations, and working closely with the Director and Board of Directors. The Development Director will increase UConn Hillel’s presence in the greater Connecticut Jewish community and within the University to help grow the organization’s infrastructure and ability to impact Jewish students positively through enriching programs, spiritual and educational content. Most importantly, you will help chart a new path for our Hillel at a critical time.
We seek candidates who are passionate about promoting Jewish culture and values on a college campus by supporting students and finding the resources for long-term sustainability. You will wake up each day excited to inspire others to invest in the vibrant Jewish life happening at UConn Hillel. In this work, you will be aided by a dedicated Hillel staff. You will meet students and stakeholders at the Trachten-Zachs Hillel House in the center of campus, as well as out and around the community of Storrs and the greater Connecticut orbit of Jewish life.
The Development Director will lead and execute all development plans for the Hillel. They will be responsible for overseeing all fundraising strategy and campaigns including annual, capital, endowment, planned giving, events, direct mail, and more; managing the fundraising efforts of the Executive Director; working closely with the Board and other lay leadership. The Development Director will also support the Executive Director in developing organizational vision, including budget, organizational structure, communications, marketing, policy, and strategy.
- Oversee the development and execution of robust fundraising strategies to achieve current annual goal and increase revenues over the next three years
- Develop a dynamic development strategy that includes cultivation of small, developing and major donors, a detailed campaign calendar, funding proposals, capital campaign consideration and endowment giving strategies.
- Create a comprehensive annual campaign of current and prospective donors including cultivation, stewardship, and solicitation through in-person meetings, phone calls, direct mail and e-communications.
- Manage the implementation of software and oversee data entry and gift processing.
- Prepare grant proposals and reports for individual donors, philanthropic foundations, Jewish Federations, other funders and the board.
- Oversee all mail and internet-based solicitations including the preparation and production of materials.
- Work with Executive Director to identify and develop sponsorship opportunities.
- Work with student leaders on various fundraising initiatives, including recruiting, training, and mobilizing students to partner in Hillel’s development efforts.
- Perform prospect research, solicitation and stewardship of a portfolio of major gift donors ($5,000 and above) on behalf of UConn Hillel. Work with the Executive Director and other lay leaders to prepare, research and execute their own portfolio of major gifts.
- Develop and promote a culture of philanthropy throughout Hillel, including creativity, teamwork, accountability and continuous improvement.
- Develop effective parent/family and alumni groups to support Hillel’s work
- Represent Hillel at community events when appropriate
- Forecast fundraising potential for annual budgeting
- Propose, manage and monitor annual development budget.
- Work closely with board members to train and engage them in fundraising efforts.
- Build partnerships with campus administration and the UConn Foundation, Hillel International, Jewish federations in CT and foundations.
Communications and Marketing
- Create meaningful and effective marketing materials, both print and online, in collaboration with the Executive Director
Community Event Planning and Management
- Lead initiatives to plan, execute, and ensure the success of development related special events
What You Will Bring to The Job
- At least 3 years’ experience in professional fundraising
- Successful track recording in identifying, cultivating, soliciting and closing 5 and 6 figure gifts
- Superior oral and written communication skills
- Knowledge of the Jewish philanthropic community
- Ability to collaborate across teams both inside and outside of Hillel
- Strong entrepreneurial spirit
- Willingness to facilitate conversations about Judaism and Israel to inspire stakeholders to invest in our work
- Proactive, transparent communication style and collaborative orientation to work with key partners, e.g., the Hillel Board and related offices and agencies
- Capability to build, lead, empower and coach other fundraisers
- Capacity to work independently and collaboratively, successfully managing multiple priorities
- Understanding of current trends, ability to recommend and implement plans to increase donors, contributions, and identify new opportunities
- Proficient skills with Microsoft Office Suite and experience using CRM platforms (i.e., Little Green Light, Donor Perfect, SalesForce, Raiser’s Edge, Blackbaud)
What You Will Receive
- Competitive salary in the non-profit marketplace. The salary range for this role is $68,00- $78,000
- Great professional development, mentoring, and skill building opportunities
About UConn Hillel
UConn Hillel provides a friendly, warm, and pluralistic environment in which students can shape their college experience by connecting socially, culturally, and spiritually to their Judaism. Hillel has been transformed from using space in a university dorm to an 8,000 square foot facility in the center of campus and near the kosher dining hall. With almost 2,000 Jewish college students, Hillel offers students the means to explore and celebrate their Jewish identity in a dynamic and comfortable environment. Each year, Hillel connects students to their community, their peers and their heritage through an array of social, cultural and community service programs. The momentum is here, and we want to continue our trajectory.
This Hillel and its stakeholders are hungry for a professional leader with vision, energy and superior strategic and communication skills around whom it can rally to continue its sustained growth and excellence.
About Hillel International
In 1923, Rabbi Benjamin Frankel started Hillel with humble means, a noble mission and a breathtaking vision: to convey Jewish civilization to a new generation. Today, Hillel International continues to enrich the lives of Jewish students and is the largest Jewish campus organization in the world at more than 550 colleges and universities across North America and around the world. As Hillel evolves as an organization, the mission remains steadfast: to create lasting connections with every Jewish student that foster an enduring commitment to Jewish life, learning, and Israel and train them to become the next Jewish leaders.
UConn Hillel is affiliated with Hillel International. Hillel International enriches the lives of Jewish students so they may enrich the Jewish people and the world, and envisions a world where every student is inspired to make an enduring commitment to Jewish life, learning and Israel.
Hillel is an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to creating an accepting and inclusive environment for all.