JFGW COMMUNICATIONS MANAGER
The Jewish Federation of Greater Washington’s Communications Manager will be a talented writer, experienced collaborator, and strategic communicator. They will develop and implement new, creative ways of translating Federation’s impact to key stakeholders (including donors, lay leaders, and Jewish communal professionals) and the community at large. If you’re a thoughtful, motivated professional ready to be an essential member of The Jewish Federation’s dynamic Marketing & Communications team, read on!
Federation’s professional team is mission-driven and committed to helping every member of Greater Washington’s Jewish community connect with purpose, at a time when maintaining those connections is more important than ever before.
The communications manager is a key driver of this work. You will:
• Serve as a steward of Federation’s brand and style guide in all internal and external written communications
• Develop and implement a stakeholder communications calendar, using a variety of communications channels to reach our core audience with educational and fundraising messages throughout the year
• Work with PR team to identify and develop story opportunities for media coverage
• Partner with the Senior Director of Marketing & Communications and with the Assistant Director of Marketing to ensure that all collateral tells the on-brand story of our work
• Work closely with colleagues in Federation’s Impact and Financial Resource Development (FRD) departments to understand and lead the concepting, development, and implementation of compelling communications focused on our accomplishments, communal needs, and what matters to our stakeholders
Your successful efforts will help key stakeholders understand the value of Federation’s work and compel their continued interest and investment in it.
Leading candidates will have a proven ability to create engaging written content, with a background in nonprofit communications, public relations, speechwriting, editing, presentation development, copywriting, and/or grant writing and reporting.
The salary range for this position is $75,000-80,000.
Your Role and Responsibilities as Communications Manager
The Communications Manager is a proven professional with a talent for compelling storytelling. You enjoy immersing yourself in a brand story and finding new ways to tell it. In this role, your passion for Federation’s work and for the Jewish community will shine through in the communications you create.
Day-to-day, you will:
• Serve as a strategic thought-leader in developing internal and external communications
• Provide communications guidance and recommendations to internal colleagues
• Oversee the integration of Federation messaging and branding across online and offline materials, including emails, newsletters, direct mail, social media, video, and more
• Produce original content focused on the impact of giving to Federation, including but not limited to Federation’s online newsletter, other digital and print collateral, cases for giving, annual reports, and donor acknowledgements
• Collaborate with FRD and impact teams to create proposals, grants, and reports
• Oversee creative and production processes and timelines for concurrent communications collateral projects, in collaboration with Federation’s Assistant Director of Marketing
• Consistently foster your knowledge of Greater Washington’s Jewish communal needs to inform your messaging of Federation’s impact
• Use familiarity with communal news and events and with the Jewish calendar to keep Federation communications timely and relevant
• Assist at events as needed, which may occur in the evening or on weekends
• Support fellow team members with projects as needed, including by editing or proofreading their work, and/or as a thought-partner
Your Background, Qualifications, and Success Factors
• Minimum of 5-7 years marketing, communications, or related professional experience; experience in non-profit, Jewish communal work helpful
• The ability to develop persuasive, timely framing, and collateral to tell the Federation story
• Demonstrable excellence in written and verbal communications skills with strong knowledge of AP writing-style
• Self-motivated and driven by high personal standards for your work
• Demonstrable success in building and cultivating trusted relationships; ability to work effectively, respectfully, and collaboratively on a team, within and across departments and all levels of the organization
• Ability to distill qualitative and quantitative market research, data and analysis, and metrics into resources for narrative reporting
• Maintain awareness of customer preferences and industry communications trends to ensure organization is optimally positioned in content, voice, and messaging
• Proficiency with Microsoft Office, including Word and PowerPoint, required, experience with Adobe Creative Suite a plus
• A well-developed sense of humor and the ability to work in a fast-paced, deadline-oriented environment
• Ability to infuse Jewish culture, values, traditions, and history into your work
• Desire to contribute in a meaningful way to a growing, thriving non-profit
• Bachelor’s Degree required; advanced education and/or experience in marketing, communications, or related field preferred
While Federation’s team is currently working remotely, candidates should be located in or willing to relocate to the Greater Washington (DC, MD, and Northern VA) region. Flexible work options available.
The Jewish Federation of Greater Washington envisions an open, connected, and vibrant Jewish community that cares for each other, fosters Jewish learning and journeys, embraces Jewish peoplehood and Israel, and acts as a force for good in the world. As a mission-driven non-profit organization, we work to inspire, build, and sustain vibrant Jewish life in a changing world by mobilizing our community in common purpose, intentional innovation, and effective action. Learn more at shalomdc.org.