UJA-Federation of New York is the largest local philanthropy in the world. For more than 100 years, we’ve brought New Yorkers together to solve some of the most pressing problems facing our community. Thanks to our network of hundreds of non-profits, we can leverage our expertise across any number of areas — including health and human services, arts and culture, and education — to care for Jews everywhere and New Yorkers of all backgrounds, respond to crises close to home and far away, and shape our Jewish future. Our reach extends from New York to Israel to nearly 70 other countries around the world, touching 4.5 million people each year.
The Jewish Life department is seeking a creative, passionate and collaborative team member who thrives in a fast-paced and dynamic working environment.
The Jewish Life Department is responsible for UJA-Federation of New York’s strategic planning and allocations in Jewish education, identity and community development. With a diverse portfolio of initiatives and partnerships, the department seeks to inspire Jewish life around the globe. The Jewish Life Department represents the commitment of more than 100 volunteer leaders working alongside a small team of dedicated professionals.
Planning Executives (planners) have primary responsibility in multiple content areas and related planning committees. These responsibilities include planning in content areas, oversight of initiative development, and implementation. Planners manage multiple grants portfolios, including oversight of Request for Applications (RFA) and proposal screening processes, as well as ongoing involvement with grantees. This position includes representation of the Jewish Life Department and UJA-Federation at conferences and colloquia related to content-area expertise. Planners cultivate and maintain relationships with committee leadership and membership.
- Oversee a diverse, extensive portfolio of grants including large and small-scale grants.
- Responsible for being an expert in Jewish Life and UJA Federation regarding knowledge of designated content area.
- Responsible to be an ambassador for this work, presenting on it to internal and/or external audiences, individual donors, etc.
- Staffs multiple strategic allocations committees each with a specific content area (content-based planning committees include Diversity, Action and Justice, Jewish Life in the Neighborhood, Immersive Experiences, Israeli Judaism, Shared Society in Israel and Global Jewish Communities). This responsibility includes working closely with lay leadership, designing and managing planning processes, managing RFA and/or special initiative processes, evaluations, research and ongoing lay educational process.
- Participates in weekly Jewish Life staff meetings and Jewish Life staff retreats
- Participates in Jewish Life Cabinet and Department meetings
- Participates in Jewish Life strategic or other planning, as appropriate
- Participates in UJA building-wide programs and cross-divisional explorations
Qualifications and Competencies:
- Master’s degree in Jewish education, public policy, social work, law, public administration, communal service or related fields preferred
- 3-7 years related professional experience in a Federation or similar organization preferred
- 2-5 years related practical experience in the field preferred
- Understanding and sensitivity of working with diverse Jewish populations in NY, Israel, and globally
- Interest in building a strong, dynamic, and pluralistic NY Jewish community and commitment to empowering all segments of the population
- Self starter, creative thinker and curious
- Ability to work both independently and as part of a team
- Superior attention to detail and ability to juggle multiple tasks
- Strong problem-solving skills and the ability to shift priorities when needed in a fast-paced environment
- Excellent organizational, written and verbal communication skills
- Flexibility, positive attitude, and sense of humor
- Openness to constructive feedback and commitment to self-improvement
- Excels at building relationships
- Ability to learn new technology systems