ORT America is seeking a Senior Grant Writer to support fundraising for World ORT’s educational programs. ORT’s global educational network reaches 300,000 people a year, in more than 30 countries, providing a combination of high-level science and technology education with strengthened Jewish identity. The Senior Grant Writer must have knowledge of the Jewish philanthropic landscape in the United States and understand donor needs. The successful candidate will have a passion for ORT’s educational mission and the ability to write compelling proposals and reports for major donors, including individuals, federations, and foundations.
The Senior Grant Writer is a full-time position reporting the Director of Operations. The Senior Grant Writer will research, write and prepare documents and formal applications and reporting forms to be submitted to donors, foundations and Jewish federations. S/he will also support development activities through additional writing projects as requested including marketing materials, articles, program descriptions, donor acknowledgements, event scripts and other writing as needed.
• Manage a portfolio of approximately 70 grants, collecting relevant information on program activity around the world and staying abreast of new program developments
• Preparation of excellent, highly professional and polished narrative documents for the purposes of cultivating, soliciting, and stewarding donors and prospects
• Develop a full working knowledge of World ORT programs, status of ongoing projects and needs, and plans for the future
• Build and maintain strong relationships with program team in the field to obtain and track information
• Understand program evaluation methods in order to share relevant data with donors
• Additional writing for brochures, correspondence, and other written materials as assigned, with oversight from the Director of Marketing
• Apply strategic and creative thinking and exercise good judgement
Additional Skills Required/Preferred
• Experience and proven track record in grant and report writing for North American donors and philanthropic organizations (foundations and Jewish federations)
• Highly detail oriented with excellent time management skills
• Computer literacy to include Word, Excel; PowerPoint, a plus
• Strong organizational skills; Able to multi-task and meet deadlines in a fast paced environment.
• Ability to successfully manage external relationships and effectively liaise with colleagues at all levels and diversity
• Service-oriented with good interpersonal skills
• Must be a team player (able to work with staff across departments and promote productivity while contributing to a supportive work environment)
• Flexibility to work in unconventional hours according to the need (working with British and Israeli colleagues)
• Must have excellent written and verbal communication skills