Position Title: Northwest Regional Director (RD)
Reports to: Vice President of Regional Operations and Strategy
Start Date: Immediately
Location: The position is located in the San Francisco Bay Area
Do you want to work at the intersection of politics, Middle East policy, the Jewish community and fundraising? Are you interested in joining a rapidly expanding organization that is changing the way people think and talk about Israel and U.S. Middle East policy?
J Street seeks an experienced professional to lead its Northwest Regional office in the Bay Area. Working as a critical member of J Street’s Regional team, they will be the organization’s lead public representative in Northern California and throughout the Northwest United States, overseeing leadership recruitment and engagement as well as fundraising.
J Street’s mission is to change both the way American politics and the American Jewish community operate when it comes to Israel and the U.S.-Israel relationship. The regional offices focus on cultivating local leadership to build the organization’s political and Jewish communal power to achieve those goals.
The Regional Director (RD) for the Northwest will be the chief relationship officer and will manage leadership development and recruitment within the region. This includes fundraising, staffing chapter operations, and managing political, policy, and communal relationships throughout the area. The Regional Director should be a skilled strategic planner, an effective manager, and a highly organized self-starter. The ideal candidate will have a professional background in fundraising as well as politics and/or the Jewish community.
A successful RD at J Street thrives on hitting ambitious goals and is excited about changing the current dynamic surrounding the discussion of the Israeli-Palestinian conflict in Congress, politics and the American Jewish community. This position is an outstanding opportunity for a talented, motivated individual to join an organization whose influence and reach are growing enormously year-to-year.
The Northwest Regional Director is leading a team located in the Bay Area that works closely with, and depends on, local volunteer leaders to achieve fundraising, advocacy, political and communal goals. The RD’s job is an exciting blend of fundraising, leadership development, political advocacy, electoral politics and Jewish community relations. This position calls for sporadic travel across the region.
Specific responsibilities include:
- Implementing the strategic plan for the region to achieve fundraising, advocacy, political, and communal goals;
- Cultivating and engaging new and existing J Street leaders and donors;
- Working with supporters to build strong advocacy networks geared towards nurturing ongoing relationships with Senators and Members of Congress;
- Building and maintaining relationships with federal campaigns, and raising money and support for JStreetPAC-endorsed candidates; and
- Ensuring J Street is appropriately represented at relevant community events, forums, and media opportunities.
Desired Skills and Characteristics
The ideal candidate will possess the following:
- A minimum of 10 years of experience, including in development, as well as politics, advocacy, and/or Jewish communal work;
- A personally engaging style: A master of relationship-building with a positive and proactive approach to working with leadership and other supporters;
- A track record of success in previous fundraising as well as political or Jewish communal work;
- Goal oriented approach: Excited by achieving both quantitative and qualitative benchmarks and goals’
- Strong team skills; Able to work collaboratively with colleagues in multiple locations;
- Strong organizational skills; Able to prioritize multiple tasks as well as reconcile competing priorities, conscientious, intentional, trustworthy, and dependable, with an eye for details;
- Strong management skills: Experience managing others and ability to delegate; and
- A strong commitment to J Street’s mission and a desire to become policy fluent on the Israeli-Palestinian conflict and Middle East politics.
More about J Street
J Street is the political home for pro-Israel, pro-peace Americans working for the future of Israel as the democratic homeland of the Jewish people. The organization believes that preserving Israel’s Jewish and democratic character depends on achieving a two-state solution, resulting in a Palestinian state living alongside Israel in peace and security.
Launched in 2008 with four staff and a limited budget, J Street is now a $10 million organization with a national staff of more than 60. The organization is headquartered in Washington, DC, employing staff in 7 cities including Boston, Chicago, Los Angeles, New York, San Francisco and Tel Aviv. The New York office is the largest regional office (outside of DC), housing both regional and national staff.
J Street focuses its work in three main areas: (1) Advocating and demonstrating support for pro-Israel, pro-peace policies in Congress, the media and the Jewish community; (2) Endorsing and raising money for federal candidates who share J Street’s agenda; and (3) Educating the public and raising awareness of the Israeli-Palestinian conflict and the two-state solution.
Compensation and Hours
The salary range for Regional Directors at J Street begins at $85,000. Duties may fluctuate based on J Street event and staff travel schedules. Our comprehensive benefits package includes paid vacation and sick leave, personal leave, generous parental leave, paid time off on many federal and Jewish holidays, health and dental insurance, company-paid life insurance, a 401k program, commuter benefits, and a flexible spending account. This is a bargaining unit position.