Marketing and Outreach Associate
Position: Marketing and Outreach Associate
Status: Regular, Part-Time, Non-Exempt
Hours: 24-28 hours per week, Monday-Friday. Evenings, weekends, and holidays on occasion.
Reports to: Director of Philanthropy, Program Strategy, and Communications
About Coastal Roots Farm
Coastal Roots Farm (CRF) is a nonprofit Jewish community farm and education center. We cultivate healthy, connected communities by integrating sustainable agriculture, food justice, and ancient Jewish wisdom.
We share organic produce with those who need it most and connect people to compelling Jewish ideas and traditions through farming and food. We distribute food through our on-site pay-what-you-can Farm Stand, pop up mobile farm stands, and donations to hunger relief organizations. We offer hands-on education and experiences through School and Group Visits, Farm Camp Farm Tours, Volunteer Opportunities, Jewish Agricultural Festivals, and other community events, inviting our neighbors to connect to the land, Jewish tradition, and each other.
Coastal Roots Farm is located in Encinitas, CA on approximately 17 acres of land. Our Farm consists of vegetable production fields, education farm and gardens, a food forest, chickens, and compost operations. Coastal Roots Farm was incubated by the Leichtag Foundation in 2014 and received 501(c)(3) public charity status in 2015.
The primary focus of the Marketing and Outreach Associate position is to connect to the Coastal Roots Farm community through digital communications, marketing, and outreach. The position may also support Philanthropy and Education departments through administrative tasks. As the Farm grows and as we move beyond the COVID-19 pandemic, there is opportunity for this role to take on additional responsibilities supporting Farm programs and events.
The right candidate will exhibit strong writing and speaking skills, ability to simplify agricultural and Jewish concepts for a diverse audience, a good eye for visual presentation and design, attention to detail, and a welcoming disposition.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
The essential functions include, but are not limited to, the following:
Marketing and Outreach:
• Develop public-facing materials and engaging outreach tools to complement and drive support for Farm programs
• Ensure clear, consistent, effective messaging across Farm programs and integrate Jewish identity into internal and external communications
• Draft content for external communications (newsletters, email campaigns, blogs, presentation slides, etc.)
• Film and edit videos for Virtual School and Group Visits and other programs as needed
• Develop strategy and regularly publish web and social media content including Facebook Live to support Farm’s programs, events and social enterprises; track and evaluate engagement
• Support Farm development efforts by drafting informational materials and fundraising campaigns
• Manage and organize digital assets
• Create and design event invitations and advertisements
• Increase traffic to website and improve presence on Yelp, Guidestar, and local event listings
• Capture Farm impact through photographs of programs and events, take staff headshots
• Monitor general inquiry email inbox and answer phones; address or field inquiries
• Regular data entry through Salesforce
• Printing tax acknowledgement letters
• Assisting with event registration and support across departments with event data through Salesforce
• Attend regular programs and communications meetings as appropriate
• Attend regular Farm team meetings as appropriate
• Other duties as assigned
Qualifications / Experience Required:
• Strong experience with communications strategy and implementation including social and digital media, visual design, web design
• Proficient in Microsoft Office (Excel, Word, Outlook, Sharepoint, Teams), and Adobe Suite
• Outstanding written and verbal communication skills
• Familiarity with or interest in Jewish heritage, traditions, and practice
• Passionate about Jewish community farming, food justice, and/or food systems development
• Highly organized and strong time management skills
• Ability to work independently, set priorities and see projects through to completion
• Strong interpersonal and relationship development skills
• Superb internal and external customer service abilities
• Open to new ways of working with diverse communities and organizations
• Eagerness to experiment to attain new, better strategies, approaches, work products and solutions to challenges
• Flexibility to take on a variety of tasks and work in a highly collaborative, team environment
• Flexible and willing to work simultaneously on a wide range of projects with the ability to prioritize tasks
• Bachelor’s degree in related field
• Experience taking high quality photographs
• Experience with video editing
• Very skilled in Adobe InDesign, Illustrator, and Photoshop
• Proficient in Spanish
• Experience writing for audiences interested in food or farming
• Experience working in a nonprofit or philanthropic organization
Reports directly to the Director of Philanthropy, Program Strategy, and Communications
Salary range: $16-$17/hour based on experience. Coastal Roots Farm offers a competitive benefits package starting at 20 hours/week.
Typical Working Conditions
The Marketing and Outreach Associate will work inside an office as well as outdoors on occasion. There will be exposure to Southern California outside temperatures, chemicals used in the agricultural industry, and loud noises.
Essential Physical Tasks
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Continual walking, standing, climbing, stooping, bending, kneeling, reaching, lifting, cutting and carrying.
Coastal Roots Farm is an equal opportunity employer.