The Director of Disability Services is responsible for the overall management, supervision and planning of all service programs for children/adults with intellectual/developmental disabilities including autism spectrum disorders. Programs include an array of afterschool, sports and aquatics, camping, recreational, and parent support services designed to meet the needs of individuals, families, and caregivers. The Program Director is responsible for program outreach, planning, implementation, and supervision as well as assuring compliance necessary to conduct and build the capacity of high caliber programs. This is a full time, management position that requires independent judgment, initiative, creativity, and flexibility.
• Oversee the day-to-day operations of all programs for the department
• Implement a vision for excellence which includes best practices in services for individuals with disabilities
• Foster a nurturing, inclusive and engaging environment which reflects respect and compassion that is supportive of children, families and staff
• Monitor billing, expenses and department budget
• conduct intakes and needs assessments for current and new participants
• Ensure up to date reporting, understanding and compliance with all OPWDD and other regulating agencies requirements
• Maintain regular, consistent, and meaningful communication with parents, staff, and colleagues.
• Work with managerial, administrative, and direct service staffs to promote agency goals and standards that include involvement with agency-wide activities and inter-department projects.
Qualifications and Skills
• Master’s Degree in Social Work or Special Education
• Two Years of Experience in work with people with intellectual/developmental disabilities including autistic spectrum disorders
• Familiarity with conducting intakes and needs assessments
• Understanding of NYS OPWDD policies and procedures
• Limited travel within NYC Metro Area will be necessary
• Some Sundays and evenings are required
• Demonstrated ability to lead and supervise others
• Exceptional organizational, interpersonal and written communication skills
• Enjoy working as a member of a collaborative, interdisciplinary team
The Hebrew Educational Society, a thriving multi-service, comprehensive community center located in southeast Brooklyn, provides a diverse array of programs and services within a multi-cultural, multi-ethnic environment that is inclusive of people of all ages and ability levels. Programs include Early Childhood, After School, Camps, Athletic and Aquatic Activities, Older Adults & People with disabilities.