Hillel of Metro Detroit (HMD), a vibrant and innovative Jewish campus organization, seeks an individual who thrives on creating meaningful connections and conversations to be our new Program Associate.
Who We Are
Hillel of Metro Detroit aspires to be a meaningful, relevant, and dynamic organization that engages hundreds of local Jewish college-aged students throughout the Detroit metropolitan area, has maximum visibility and recognition in the community, achieves robust fundraising and has a sound financial foundation.
HMD provides students at six local colleges and universities opportunities to explore Judaism, develop leadership skills, and build enduring connections to Jewish life, to each other and to the Jewish community. HMD makes a difference for today and tomorrow. We focus on creating a welcoming community with Judaism- infused programming that will help students form positive Jewish memories, build strong Jewish identities, and acquire the skills to become leaders in their local Jewish communities.
The Program Associate at HMD is a full-time position, responsible for engagement and program development at multiple HMD commuter campuses and for 18-29 years old Jewish young adults in the Detroit metropolitan area. The Program Associate provides ongoing support to student groups and to interest groups throughout the community, coordinates student leadership development, marketing, and community relations.
The Program Associate will work with colleagues to further HMD’s mission as the community’s foremost organization for engaging local Jewish college-age students (18-29). HMD enriches Jewish identity, furthers Jewish journeys and inspires involvement in the community. This individual will report to the Associate Director and will work with the program teams to establish specific goals and evaluate progress.
- You have a Bachelor’s degree.
- You know how to follow through with multiple projects simultaneously.
- You are familiar with web-based applications.
- You are comfortable embracing your own Judaism (or you are actively figuring that out).
- You have strong oral, written, and non-verbal communication skills, with a particular talent for active listening.
- You have the ability to work flexible hours needed to complete job requirements, including some nights, weekends and holidays.
- You can think big and creatively and help inspire students to do the same. Nothing is too big to tackle.
- You are a relationship builder. You are constantly meeting new people, interested in learning about them and their passions.
- You are passionate and excited about college students and helping them along their Jewish journeys.
- You understand why students are or aren’t interested in being involved with Jewish life on campus.
- You can reimagine things. Just because that’s how it was done before isn’t good enough for you, you strive to find new, innovative, exciting ways to improve things.
- You are a problem solver. If something does not work, you are seeking different avenues to make it happen. You say, “There was a challenge, this is how we can fix it.”
- You are able to be creative in designing flyers and utilizing social media to promote events.
What You’ll Get Out of It
- Professional development to enhance skills and gain expertise in different areas.
- A comprehensive benefits package.
- Competitive salary in the nonprofit marketplace commensurate with relevant experience. The salary range for this role is $30,000 - $40,000.
A Typical Day May Include
- Meeting with a group of students to understand how they are looking to be involved with Jewish life on campus and helping them to create a program around that.
- Have a brainstorming session with the staff on new ways to virtually engage students.
- Staff a Jewish Learning program with our Rabbi and 20 other students who are eager to learn.
- Assist students in creating marketing materials for upcoming programs and thinking of ways to increase involvement.
Governance and Affiliations
Hillel of Metro Detroit is overseen by a local Board of Governors which is responsible for the fiduciary well-being of the organization and developing its vision.
Hillel of Metro Detroit is a constituent agency of the Jewish Federation of Metropolitan Detroit (JFMD). JFMD works with 17 agencies to serve the needs of people at every stage of life in the Jewish community of Metropolitan Detroit, in Israel and around the world.
Hillel of Metro Detroit is affiliated with Hillel International. Hillel International enriches the lives of Jewish students, so they may enrich the Jewish people and the world, and envisions a world where every student is inspired to make an enduring commitment to Jewish life, learning and Israel.
Please include in one document:
- Comprehensive resume featuring all significant experiences since high school (no more than 2 pages) that includes contact information for up to 3 professional references
- Cover letter (no more than 1 page) expressing interest in the position
Please upload this document as a word or PDF file. When you upload the document, the system will create an unformatted version of your resume as a snapshot in your application. The formatted version of your resume will also be attached to your application, and will be used during the hiring process.
Hillel is an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to creating an accepting and inclusive environment for all.