The bookkeeper will oversee all day-to-day detail accounting operations for all synagogue accounts and support the Executive Director and Board of Directors. The bookkeeper will also assume all month-end and year-end responsibilities and provide timely reports to the Executive Director and Vice President of Finance as requested.
Key Responsibilities/Essential Functions
• Prepare and record all payroll for employees and contractors.
• Record and make payments to vendors.
• Manage member accounts and prepare/send monthly financial reports and account statements.
• Reconcile daily receipts with Quickbooks to ensure all monies collected are accounted for, posted properly, and balanced between Chaverware and Quickbooks.
• Provide financial reports and analysis to Executive Director and Vice President of Finance as needed.
• Assist Executive Director, Clergy, and Board of Trustees when necessary. This includes running reports, making phone calls, etc.
• Interact with members regarding billing, donations, and other account inquiries.
• Process all incoming donations including inputting them into Chaverware in the correct funding and preparing/mailing tribute card.
• Executive bank reconciliations and journal entries, and deposit checks to bank when received.
• Assist in annual preparation of the temple budget.
• Adjust for subsidies, send subsidy forms and ACH forms throughout the year, make adjustments as necessary and follow up with revised statements.
• Work with Ritual Assistant to bill for b’nai mitzvah charges when needed and assess charges when congregants book events at the temple, including refunding of security deposit once the event is over.
• Handle all incoming calls and correspondence from congregants pertaining to their accounts.
• Process all new members including inputting appropriate charges into Chaverware.
• Process all resignations including removing charges when necessary, preparing resignation letters, and correspondence. If necessary, sending accounts to collections and following up through the collections process.
• Human resources management/benefits administration.
• General office staff support.
Preferred Personal Qualities
• Preference for working with high functioning teams, of independent, talented staff.
• Enjoys working directly with synagogue members and prospective members to provide understanding and support for their individual needs, including personal and financial.
• Respect for the need for privacy for member situations, finances, and preferences.
• A customer service mindset with a high “EQ” (emotional intelligence quotient)
• Strong verbal and written communication skills to support the needs of the board, staff, and congregants.
• Ability to work in a complex, fast-moving environment.
• At least 3-5 years of bookkeeping/accounting experience.
• Previous experience working in a faith-based/religious organization, or a strong appreciation of the unique mission-based needs of places of worship.
• Experience working with financial management systems including budgeting, financial planning, accounting systems, controls, analysis and reporting.
• Proficiency in MS Office Suite, Chaverware, and Quickbooks required.
Please include a one-page cover letter along with your resume, outlining how your skills and experience and how you meet the essential functions and qualifications of the position. We’re looking forward to hearing from you!