KEHILLAT BETH ISRAEL IS HIRING A YOUTH ENGAGEMENT PROFESSIONAL
Kehillat Beth Israel Congregation is the newest and the largest synagogue in Ottawa. Founded four years ago as a result of the amalgamation of two Conservative congregations, KBI is committed to providing superior Jewish content to people of all ages through the leadership of our three full-time clergy and many active volunteers and lay leaders. KBI hosts the Ottawa Kosher Food Bank, and Ottawa’s Conservative youth organization, USY.
JACCUSY (Jews Across Canada’s Capital, United Synagogue Youth) is our vibrant and growing youth branch. Programming includes: monthly social, Israel-centric and Judaic events, informal meet-ups and study sessions, holiday programs, Shabbatonim, and regional and national USY conventions.
The ideal candidate will work with Clergy, the youth committee (comprised of parents), the USY Board (comprised of youth), and synagogue staff to develop youth programs that include educational, religious, social, and cultural components. The optimal candidate will have strong outreach abilities.
Age groups include:
1. Grades K-4 (Ketanim)
2. Grades 5-8 (Kadima)
3. Grades 9-12 (USY)
The job description includes the following 4 components:
- To create and implement at least 1 program/month for Ketanim, and guide the USY Youth Board to implement 1 program/month for each of Kadima and USY.
- Assist in the recruitment for and attendance in USY regional activities and promote and participate in regional USY forums by working with other youth directors or advisors to develop and support youth programming
- Participating in the planning and recruitment of youth in major synagogue activities around holidays
- Manage email and social media communications with youth and their parents about youth programming
- Assist to create and/or teach in our teen educational program (JTeen) focussing on social action/Tikkun Olam and torah study
- Responsible for organizing and coordinating K-8 Shabbat and High Holiday Children's Programming, working with the Clergy, Youth Committee and volunteers
- Invest energy and time in developing leadership capacity among the teens, empowering them towards self-governance.
- Regularly meet in small groups to build and sustain relationships with the youth
- Coordinate and develop social media and other publicity with the congregation’s Communications Professional
- Strong communication skills; online skills (familiarity with Zoom, Google Meets, etc.)
- Experience working with school-aged children and teens, preferably in a Jewish context or environment
- Ability to work both independently and as part of a team
- Strong organizational skills including planning and implementation of events
- Willingness to receive training, as needed in areas that might include technologies and support for mental health issues in youth.
- Knowledge of Jewish tradition; commitment to Conservative Jewish living and/or interest in learning
Hours Up to 40 hrs/week including a number of weeknights and weekends
Salary Range $40,000-45,000 CAD
Preferred Degree Bachelors or equivalent in Education, or Social Work or a relevant degree
Preferred Experience Jewish camping/youth group experience; knowledge of Kadima/USY
Benefits Health and Dental
Start Date August 1, 2020
Please send your cover letter and resume to*****************************