Managing Director, Educational Technology and Strategy
The Jewish Education Project
New York, NY
Opportunity for Impact
The Jewish Education Project has been devoted to ensuring that Jewish education is in tune with the forces that impact our world and our communities in a changing environment. In March 2020, with the outbreak of the Coronavirus pandemic, stay at home policies were implemented nationally and physical schools across the United States were closed. Schools were inundated with services from various organizations, and educators were scrambling to adapt to a new reality of digital learning. The marketplace of online Jewish learning, once sparse, became cluttered and confusing. In a panicked state, Jewish educators used whatever they could find, with little time to ascertain quality.
Taking stock of our community’s digital learning needs, we are currently creating and building a robust user-friendly portal that will support educators during the crisis and beyond. This platform will be a springboard for necessary additions to the Jewish educational landscape, including the provision of ongoing professional development and a mechanism to hold convenings and gatherings for Jewish educators. Stimulated by an urgent response to the impact of COVID19, we secured funding quickly to be responsive to the immediate needs for significant change in the landscape in the short term, as well as to lay the foundation for our future digital work as an agency beyond the pandemic.
We are committed to being at the forefront of ensuring that Jewish education remains relevant and meaningful in the lives of Jewish youth and their families today and tomorrow. For more information about The Jewish Education Project, please visit www.jewishedproject.org
The Jewish Education Project seeks a full-time Managing Director of Educational Technology and Strategy responsible for the vision, leadership, and execution of educational technology for the agency, including this new online resource portal. The Managing Director will develop a shared vision and define and implement a multi-year strategic plan for the comprehensive integration of technology and online platforms to promote excellence in education and educational resources, supporting change throughout the instructional and professional development environment.
Working closely with senior leadership in the agency including the Chief Program Officer, this role will develop and deliver professional learning programs and resources using technology effectively. We further acknowledge that a successful candidate will be joining an exciting, albeit new, initiative that is currently in formation, as are some of the details of this position.
• Assess the current online learning and digital education landscape to position the agency for success.
• Plan, dream, and design a robust strategy and online educational portal that continuously moves The Jewish Education Project to be a leader in digital education.
• Provide strategic leadership in defining the organization’s approach to integrating technology into our emerging work in digital education, specifically to achieve the following goals and outcomes.
• Enhance long-standing areas of work with the influence of digital technology.
• Work collaboratively with agency colleagues and external partners to provide pedagogical and technical consulting to design, develop, and implement instructional content, courses and projects that enrich teaching and learning through the use of technology in online, hybrid and traditional courses, including the integration of student learning outcomes.
• Leverage existing relationships with organizations, resource partners, and individual educators as well as actively pursue new partnerships and collaborations to establish the neutrality and overall community benefit of DigitalJLearning 2.0, our new online portal.
• Analyze and compile findings from evaluations, user responses and surveys, sharing high level insights and findings with our leadership team, board, and funders, contributing to a strong data culture.
Experience, Qualifications, and Competencies
• Strong leadership skills, including the ability to articulate and implement organizational mission, vison, and goals,
• Skill and experience in educational technology or comparable relevant experience in digital education,
• Excellent interpersonal, political, and diplomatic skills, along with the ability to lead and partner with integrity and inspiration; flexibility and openness to working with professional and volunteer community leaders nationwide and in Israel,
• A decisive and inclusive decision maker with the ability to manage details while focusing on the big picture,
• Capable of teaching others to expand the circle of skill; creativity and ability to push and inspire others to think beyond the traditional educational landscape to use digital technology to influence Jewish education of tomorrow,
• Entrepreneurial self-starter, creative and innovative manager, comfortable leading in fluid environments, taking risks and experimenting,
• Skill in presenting oneself and communicating in a manner that is clear, effective, and inspiring,
• An organized manager, comfortable taking strategic direction and implementing that direction on his/her own,
• Keen understanding of the education technology and online learning market,
• Experience in leading and inspiring professional staff,
• Experience in project oversight (teams, budget, etc.),
• Preferably, deep familiarity with Jewish educational landscape, and direct Jewish education experience a plus,
• Problem solver with top notch planning and prioritizing skills,
• Ability to develop and cultivate trusted relationships,
• A persuasive and passionate communicator, both written and oral.
What We Offer
• Three weeks paid time off in year 1; increasing incrementally on a set schedule
• Comprehensive health insurance
• 401k plan
• Commuter benefits
• Early close on Fridays for Shabbat and closed for most Jewish holidays
• Shortened summer hours
• A positive work environment with exposure to great learning opportunities and the chance to work with some of the top professionals in the field of Jewish Education
How to Apply
• Please submit resum****************************b title in the email subject line
• The Jewish Education Project is an equal opportunity employer
Location: Remote until September 8, 2020 / 520 Eighth Avenue, 15th Floor, New York, NY 10018
The Jewish Education Project aims to select, place and train the best qualified individuals based upon relevant factors such as work quality, attitude and experience, so as to provide equal employment opportunity for all our employees in compliance with applicable local, state, and federal laws and without regard to non-work related factors such as race, color, religion/creed, gender, national origin, age, disability, marital status, sexual orientation, veteran status, or any other protected class. We encourage and support diversity and tolerance in our workplace.