Under the direction of Hillel International and the Secure Community Network, the Director of Campus Safety & Security Programs will develop, implement and oversee the design, development and implementation of campus safety and security programs for Hillel International and its member Hillels, both across North America and internationally. The Director will serve as an expert security advisor, liaison, training coordinator and incident response manager, to ensure the safety and security of all Hillels, professional staff, students and guests. The Director will work to strengthen partnerships, relationships, and cooperation to enhance security capacity and mitigate risks and threats to Jewish life on campus, via their role with Hillel International.
This position will be based at Hillel International headquarters at the Schusterman International Center in Washington, D.C. Qualified remote candidates may be considered. Significant travel is anticipated.
• Serve as the primary security and safety advisor and subject matter expert on behalf of Hillel International.
• Design and develop security policies, standards and procedures, emergency operations, continuity of operations as well as response and recovery templates and plans, to ensure compliance with applicable risk management policies, laws, regulations, and privacy legislation, as appropriate and consistent with the philosophies and policies of stakeholders.
• Serve as a representative of Hillel International, Hillels and SCN to federal, state, local and international law enforcement, public safety, non-profit, public, private and other stakeholder organizations.
• Act as a liaison with campus administrators, campus police or public safety organizations, other campus organizations and other relevant stakeholders when requested or prudent, on behalf of Hillel International, SCN and Hillels.
• Provide threat assessments, information sharing, communications and monitoring of events or situations that potentially presents a threat to Hillel International, individual Hillels, employees and the individuals they serve.
• Conduct and/or coordinate security audits, assessments and recommendations to enhance the physical security of Hillel houses/offices.
• Provide ongoing review and consultation of existing security programs and offer recommendations to enhance same.
• Design, develop conduct and/or facilitate training, education, exercises and briefings to students, staff and leadership, professional and lay leaders, to include training on suspicious behavior and indicators, active threat/active shooter, leadership, incident and crisis management, Stop the Bleed and related topics;
• Respond to all incidents directed at or impacting Hillel, its employees and/or the individuals they serve, provide support to staff and students as well as others impacted following any incident, and provide the necessary direction, to include physically deploying to the impacted location or related sites.
• Create, train and manage an incident response team of Hillel professionals to support campuses in the aftermath of security or crisis challenges.
• Provide subject matter expertise, consultation and advice to support crisis communication efforts for all-hazard events.
• Provide special events security consultation for high-profile and/or large-scale events, conferences, to include developing relevant policies and procedures as well as templates for the same.
• Implement and oversee the deployment and operations of an emergency mass notification system for timely and critical threat, crisis or other emergency-related information.
• Design, develop, implement and oversee strategic processes for Hillel International and its members, with defined objective and measurable deliverables, to meet long-term security needs and interests, and develop tailored strategies to achieve the same locally, regionally and nationally.
• Assist organizations with the development, implementation and testing of all-hazards preparedness and response plans.
• Serve as subject matter expert for various committees to ensure coordination and cooperation among Jewish community organizations locally, regionally and nationally.
• Provide grant guidance, application support and related consultation for the identification, application and implementation of various grant funding opportunities and awards for safety and security planning, training and enhancements.
• Complete special projects and other duties as assigned, to include assisting with core responsibilities of the organization.
Qualifications and Experience
Graduation from an accredited college or university with a bachelor’s degree, PLUS a minimum of ten (10) years’ experience in Emergency Management, Security Risk Management, Law Enforcement, Public Safety Administration, United States Armed Forces OR equivalent combination of professional work experience, training and education. Preferred qualifications include prior supervisory, managerial, and community relations experience. CPP or other security industry certification and campus safety experience preferred. Knowledge of Jewish community and Hillel operating environment a plus.
• Excellent leadership, problem-solving as well as verbal and written communication skills.
• Ability to work in a dynamic, fast-paced environment
• Knowledge of incident and emergency management communication procedures and protocol
• Knowledge of FEMA/DHS National Interoperability requirements in relation to Homeland Security and Emergency Management
• Ability to design, develop and implement and deliver Emergency Operation Plans, Standard Operating Procedures, Organizational Policies, and Training Programs
• Skilled in designing, developing, interpreting and applying directives
• Ability to work under extremely stressful situations and handle multiple tasks over an extended period of time
• Ability to ascertain compliance with federal and state emergency preparedness laws, rules and regulations and explain compliance requirements to county and local officials
• Ability to communicate in verbal, written or electronic formats in a concise and grammatically correct manner
• Skilled in utilizing professional judgment in dealing with entities from all sectors as well as other professionals in the field of law enforcement, intelligence and emergency management
• Proficient in the development and implementation of emergency communication policies, protocols, and procedures
• Proficient in the development and implementation of operational planning, policies, protocols and procedures
• Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite and general computer skills
• Must be willing to travel and be on-call 24/7
PLEASE APPLY DIRECTLY THROUGH SCN: http://xxxxxxxxxxxxx