Make your mark on Jewish student life by joining Metro Chicago Hillel as a Jewish Life Associate. You will partner with students to plan awesome events, ensure that Hillel is a welcoming space for all students, mentor student leaders, and help inspire them to make a commitment to Jewish life. Your role will focus on DePaul University. Our students come from a range of backgrounds, and MCH draws together a diverse array of students to build an incredible Jewish community.
Metro Chicago Hillel is looking for a dynamic, energetic, and creative Jewish Life Associate to inspire students to make an enduring commitment to Jewish life, learning and Israel. You should have strong interpersonal skills, be highly motivated, and entrepreneurial. A successful Jewish Life Associate is a natural community organizer who thrives in a fast-paced environment. This is a chance to join an outstanding, collegial staff committed to building a welcoming and vibrant community, that values Jewish learning and fosters relationships.
You Are Great At
• Finding ways to connect with anyone, anytime, anywhere.
• Bringing your strong leadership, entrepreneurial energy and networking skills to create communities and connect others to meaningful Jewish experiences.
• Managing multiple projects simultaneously and maintaining a high level of quality.
• Working independently to strengthen Jewish life and Hillel’s visibility on an urban campus.
• Thinking and acting strategically to achieve organizational goals.
• Sharing your passion for Jews and Judaism with others.
What You’ll Do
• Develop and maintain relationships with a wide variety of students at all levels of involvement
• Think strategically about how to reach and impact students, and use methodologies of community organizing to manage and plan for success.
• Oversee the logistics for Shabbat and Holiday programming.
• Plan and facilitate regular student leadership meetings with students on campus.
• Share your magnetic personality and love for the Jewish people to inspire students to make Judaism integral to their life choices and expressed Jewish values.
What You’ll Own and How You'll Grow
• Build meaningful personal relationships with students who are and are not already involved in Jewish life.
• Create new initiatives to serve the needs of students.
• Develop and nurture relationships with university staff.
• Coach and supervise students (interns, fellows, volunteers) in creating programs of their own to engage their peers.
• Track participation data and analyze results to better understand what engagement efforts work, and what need to be refined.
• Collaborate with other Hillel staff to help shape and develop the mission of Metro Chicago Hillel.
• Support and/or organize immersive trips for students, including an interfaith Student Leadership Delegation to Israel, and Taglit-Birthright Israel.
What You'll Bring to the Job
• A Bachelor’s degree
• Passion for Jews, Judaism and Israel, and an excitement to continue developing your own relationship to Judaism
• Ability to thrive in a fast-paced environment
• Ability to take initiative and develop logistical skills
• Excellent communication skills
• Ability to work well on your own and with others
• A dynamic personality and outstanding interpersonal skills
• An entrepreneurial spirit, willingness to take risks and the ability to learn from efforts that don’t work out as planned
• Knowledge of Jewish community, culture, heritage, and traditions
What You'll Receive
• Competitive salary in the non-profit marketplace. The salary range for this role is $35,000 - $38,000
• Through the Jewish United Fund/Jewish Federation of Metropolitan Chicago, Metro Chicago Hillel offers a comprehensive benefits package comprehensive benefit package including Medical, Dental and Vision Care Benefits, Non-contributory Retirement Plans, Voluntary 403(b), Life and Long-Term Disability Insurance, Long-Term Care Insurance, an Employee Assistance Program, Flexible Spending Plan, generous vacation/sick time, and parental leave.
• Great professional development, mentoring, and skill building opportunities
• Travel regionally and abroad, particularly to Israel
• Flexible work hours.
About Metro Chicago Hillel
Metro Chicago Hillel is creating a cohesive vibrant Jewish community across Chicago campuses and throughout the city. We serve almost two thousand students at DePaul University, Loyola University Chicago, Columbia College Chicago, The University of Illinois at Chicago, Northeastern Illinois University, Illinois Institute of Technology, Roosevelt University, School of the Art Institute, Oakton Community College, and Lake Forest College. Metro Chicago Hillel is part of the Hillels of Illinois, a department of the Jewish Federation of Metropolitan Chicago.
About Hillel International
In 1923, Rabbi Benjamin Frankel started Hillel with humble means, a noble mission and a breathtaking vision: to convey Jewish civilization to a new generation. Today, Hillel International continues to enrich the lives of Jewish students and is the largest Jewish campus organization in the world at more than 550 colleges and universities across North America and around the world. As Hillel evolves as an organization, the mission remains steadfast: to create lasting connections with every Jewish student that foster an enduring commitment to Jewish life, learning, and Israel and train them to become the next Jewish leaders.
Metro Chicago Hillel is affiliated with Hillel International. Hillel International enriches the lives of Jewish students so they may enrich the Jewish people and the world, and envisions a world where every student is inspired to make an enduring commitment to Jewish life, learning and Israel.
Please submit applications via www.hilleljobs.com (click on “Current Openings”). We encourage interested candidates to submit their applications as soon as possible, as we will review applications on a rolling basis.
Resume and contact information for up to 3 references
Cover letter (no more than 1 page) explaining why you are the best fit for this position
Start Date: July 1