Temple Emanuel is the largest synagogue in Phoenix’s Southeast Valley. We are a thriving hub of communal life, and a proud member of the Union for Reform Judaism.
Temple Emanuel is hiring a Managing Director to lead its operations. The successful candidate will be a leader: professional, personable, experienced, and well organized. He or she will join both a team and a community of caring people, dedicated to the values of Reform Judaism and to supporting active Jewish life in our corner of the world. Our workplace is friendly and supportive.
Temple Emanuel is a community of some 400 families. Our operation centers on caring for congregants through all the stages of life, Shabbat and Holy Day observance, and a bustling Religious School. A full schedule of classes, events, and meetings fills our week and our building. The Yad b’Yad Children’s Center also operates independently out of Temple Emanuel.
Temple Emanuel’s Managing Director is a member of the senior staff and reports to the President of the Board of Directors. The Managing Director supports the overall mission of the congregation through programming, facilities, security, communication, administration, and logistics. The Managing Director must be able to create and sustain systems, direct and support volunteers, and possess excellent customer service skills. Our Managing Director will interface with counterparts at other local organizations, and will have responsibility for leading strategic fundraising. Even as we see to daily operations, we’re looking to improve our organization and prepare our congregation for the Jewish future.
Required Experience and Skills:
• 5 years’ experience in project management, office management, and staff supervision
• Superior interpersonal skills, including the ability to work with Staff, Congregants, Clergy, Board Directors, Tenants, and Vendors in a positive and professional manner, exercising confidentiality as appropriate
• Experience in overseeing facility management and maintenance
• Ability to prioritize competing needs and tasks
• Excellent organizational Skills
• Fiscal responsibility
• Awareness of trends in the nonprofit and faith-based sectors
• Excellent judgement, flexibility, and resourcefulness; forward-looking and deadline oriented
• Proficient with MS Office, including Excel
• Experience with customer relationship management and/or membership management software and comfort learning new technology platforms
• Manage the public face of the Synagogue for the press and community when needed
• Flexibility to work evenings and weekends as required for committee meetings and events
• Bachelor’s degree from accredited college or university
If you are looking to work for a significant Jewish institution in the beautiful and affordable Phoenix-area, please contact us.
This is a full-time job, with full benefits.
Temple Emanuel of Tempe provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.
This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.