Americans for Peace Now (APN), an equal opportunity employer, is seeking a Chief Executive Officer to lead the organization.
APN is a Washington-based non-profit 501 (c) (3) organization that works to advance peace between Israel and its neighbors.
APN is the sister organization of Shalom Achshav, Israel's preeminent peace movement. APN's mission is to educate and persuade the American public and its leadership to support and adopt policies that will lead to comprehensive, durable, Israeli-Palestinian and Israeli-Arab peace, based on a two-state solution, guaranteeing both peoples' security, and consistent with U.S. national interests. APN works to ensure Israel's future and the viability of Israel's democracy and Jewish character through education, activism and advocacy in the United States, and by mobilizing American support for Shalom Achshav.
Objectives for the New President and CEO
APN’s Board of Directors is seeking a leader who will chart a path forward for the organization in the wake of current political and policy developments both in Israel and the United States, which challenge the organization’s mission.
The successful President and CEO will grow the organization, infusing it with energy, and keeping it nimble, enthusiastic, quick on its feet, and disciplined. The President and CEO will enhance APN’s profile, in the United States, drawing on the reputation of Shalom Achshav (Peace Now), Israel’s peace movement.
The Role of APN’s President and CEO
• APN’s President and CEO serves as a liaison between the organization’s staff and its Board of directors, which defines the mission of the organization and approves its policies. The President and CEO leads, supports, and guides the organization in fulfilling its mission:
• In consultation with the Board and with other stakeholders, developing and updating strategies to advance the organization’s mission;
• Informing the Board of relevant developments pertaining to the organization’s mission and of staff efforts to advance it;
• Supporting the administration of the Board;
• Developing the organization’s budget and its fundraising strategy, ensuring that the organization stays within the budget, and overseeing the fundraising efforts as fundraiser in chief;
• Functioning as the chief public face of APN;
• Hiring, training, and supervising APN’s staff;
• Overseeing the daily implementation of APN’s plans and programs;
• Understanding the substantive issues that are the focus of APN’s mission;
• Developing and executing strategies to more effectively involve Board members and other volunteers in the work of the organization;
• Overseeing APN’s relationship with Shalom Achshav.
Immediate Objectives of the President and CEO - 2020
APN’s Board of Directors expects the new President and CEO to initially focus on four immediate tasks:
• Evaluation of staff and functions of APN;
• Board development;
• Developing and implementing a major donor strategy;
• Developing a Comprehensive plan with priorities, timetable, and budgets for the longer term to increase support for Shalom Achshav, influence policy makers and policy shapers in Washington, and educate the US public, with a special focus on America’s Jewish community, on matters related to APN’s mission.
The Ideal Candidate
The ideal candidate for this position will possess the following characteristics and professional experience:
• A deep commitment to Israel and to peace;
• Leadership skills;
• Familiarity with the Middle East, Jewish life, and America’s organized Jewish community;
• Experience in nonprofit management, including financial management;
• Experience in fundraising;
• Background in public policy and communications;
• Public speaking skills;
• Broad contacts in the American Jewish NGO world, in the American NGO world, among public policy figures, and among Journalists and Middle East think tanks;
• Ability to travel both domestically and internationally.
Please submit a resume and 2 to 3 references.