About this Position
Berman Hebrew Academy, in Rockville, MD, seeks an Educational Support Services (ESS) Coordinator for the 2020-21 school year. This position is full time and begins August 3, 2020.
The ESS Coordinator provides vision and direction for the ESS Program by supporting students with different learning styles; supporting teachers in their efforts to advance students with different learning needs within the classroom; and working with parents, students, and outside professionals in order to better support the needs of the students.
An effective ESS Coordinator will be passionate about supporting all learners, will be a team player who seeks to always work collaboratively, is empathetic and an exceptional listener, and is a clear communicator with a focus on follow through.
The ESS Coordinator reports to the Dean of Students and/or the Principal of the Upper School and works closely with the guidance team.
Job roles and responsibilities include:
Resource and Learning Center and Accomodations
The ESS Coordinator will work collaboratively to ensure that the needs of all students are being met. The Resource and Learning Center classrooms provide direct support to students through case management and regular interactions.
The ESS Coordinator is charged with developing learning plans that meet the needs of the students, supporting teachers in their implementation of the plans, and working closely with the parents and any outside support to ensure that the student receives the support needed. In this capacity, the ESS Coordinator will:
• Develop individualized learning plans (FEPs) based on educational and neuropsychological testing and documentation from outside providers. These plans describe how each student learns best, areas of struggle or concern, and strategies to share this information with US faculty.
• Coordinate any testing needed for a student, which includes communication with parents and outside support. Maintain reports and update as needed.
• Act as resource for staff in the areas of learning development, learning strategies, and identification of learning disabilities.
• Review support and strategies being offered to students receiving ESS support. Ensure support plans are being implemented and amend the plans as needed based on feedback and testing.
• Provide professional development for faculty in supporting different learners.
• Supervise Resource teachers to ensure that the goals of the ESS program are being met and that students are receiving the level of support needed.
• Communicate with students, parents, and faculty on a frequent basis to ensure that plans are being implemented and students receive the level of support needed in order to achieve their learning goals.
• Work closely with faculty to review their curriculum and assessments, ensuring that the students will be able to succeed. As appropriate, help develop alternative assessments for students to demonstrate their learning.
• Teach Resource Class to provide support for coursework.
• Together with the Middle School team, develop transition plans for 8th graders as they move into the Upper School.
Standardized Testing Accommodations
The ESS Coordinator will ensure that eligible students with diagnosed educational/learning disabilities are provided with accommodations for the ACT, PSAT, SAT, AP, and SAT 2 exams.
• Request accommodations for eligible ESS Upper School students taking the College Board: SAT, PSAT, AP, SAT 2 and ACT exams.
• When relevant, appeal decisions with further documentation if initial request is denied.
• Coordinate testing for students with special testing needs. Schedule, proctor, and provide necessary accommodations (computer, large print, multi-day, etc.) for SAT and ACT special testing for Berman Upper School students.
• An advanced degree in Special Education, Educational Psychology, or a related field. Two years of experience in an education environment working with students who have learning disabilities.
• Knowledge and expertise in effective learning strategies, assessment tools, motivational techniques, and study skill development.
• Outstanding communication skills, both oral and written, including skill in writing memos/reports.
• Outstanding listening, analytical, and problem-solving skills.
• A self-starter who is able to work collaboratively in situations that may be time-sensitive with a variety of individuals including students, parents, faculty and staff.
• Upholds the philosophy, principles, policies, and procedures and represents Berman Hebrew Academy positively in the school community and the wider community.
To apply, please submit a resume and cover letter and please include “ESS Coordinator” in the subject line.
About Berman Hebrew Academy
Berman Hebrew Academy is an Orthodox Co-Educational Day School that provides a comprehensive Jewish and secular education in an atmosphere of reverence, good citizenship, and love of the Jewish people and Israel.
Adhering to standards of academic excellence and exemplary moral conduct, it prepares its graduates to become Halachically observant, well-educated Jews. It provides opportunities for each student to achieve the maximum of his or her potential, engaged with, and contributing to both the Jewish community and the society at large.