Ohr Kodesh Congregation, a Conservative congregation in Chevy Chase, Maryland, seeks an Assistant Principal for the Alvin Browdy Religious School, who will also serve as the Young Family Programming Coordinator for the broader congregation. Our congregation is rapidly growing with new young families, and we need someone who will help us capitalize on this trend, and bring new people in! This position reports directly to our Cantor, who is also the director of our religious school and supervises our education department. This position is full-time.
The ABRS Assistant Principal / Young Family Programming Coordinator will have the following responsibilities:
1. Religious School Administration
This person will be responsible for all administration of the pre-K to 7th grade religious school, including but not limited to:
a. Assisting with recruiting students, communicating with parents
b. Regular communications with families
c. Hiring, managing, and supporting teachers, in partnership with our Cantor
d. Leading t’filah when the Cantor is absent
e. Assisting in curriculum development for our growing school
f. Budgeting and maintaining budget records
2. Shabbat and Holiday Youth Group programming
Candidate should be available at least twice per month for Shabbat morning responsibilities, facilitating groups, and becoming an integral part of our Shabbat community. Responsibilities in this area will include but are not limited to:
a. Coordinating, leading, and/or hiring adult staff for Torah Tots (infants to age 4) Mini Minyan (grades K-2) and Kehilat T’filah (grades 3-7)
b. Establishing curricula for Shabbat groups, in coordination with our Cantor
c. Following up with new families for membership recruitment
d. Facilitating 4x/year Tot Shabbat on Friday nights
e. Facilitating and planning 5x/year Pajama Havdalah on Saturday evenings
3. Mitzvah Scholars
Candidate will be responsible for coordinating our “Mitzvah Scholars” 5th and 6th grade pre-B’nei Mitzvah programs, and will be in the rotation to teach some of these classes not more than once per month, likely to coincide with the days that person is present for other Shabbat groups. This person will be responsible for communicating with parents and coordinating the teaching schedule, which includes others on our clergy and staff team.
Our education department is a collaborative environment. The ideal candidate will be organized and committed to helping us build our school, and excited to work with others within our department to develop vibrant programming that caters to all young families at Ohr Kodesh.
Start date: June 15, 2020
- Applicant should have a Masters of Jewish Education or equivalent degree or expect to have graduated with that degree before June 15, 2020.
- The ideal candidate will have a deep understanding of traditional Jewish living, proficiency in t’filah for both Shabbat and weekdays, and passion for teaching Torah and Jewish text to children of all ages. Must have experience in formal and informal education.
- Creative and energetic personality, willing to work collaboratively with other team members in our Education Department.
- Excellent communication skills, verbal and written, and ability to facilitate classes, meetings, or learning groups for any-age participant.
- Must be able to minimally converse in Hebrew. Fluency in Hebrew language preferred.
- Must be comfortable in a Conservative, Zionist environment.
- Applicant must be authorized to work in the United States.