Temple Sinai of Glendale, a URJ-affiliated Reform Jewish Synagogue, is searching for our next Cantor for a permanent 25-hour per week position in our active, vibrant congregation of approximately 220 member families. Summer start.
Required Skills: Knowledge of and passion for Reform Jewish liturgy; ability to lead engaging and contemporary Reform Jewish Shabbat worship services; competency in instrumental self-accompaniment (guitar or keyboard); proficiency in performing and teaching cantillation; skill in singing with young children; effective communication skills to build rapport and develop warm relationships with both children and adults; is organized, creative, and works cooperatively with our Rabbi, Education Director, temple staff, and lay leaders.
Responsibilities: officiating at services with our Rabbi, teaching in our religious school, tutoring b’nei mitzvah students, directing our volunteer High Holy Days Choir and participating in lifecycle events. May lead to a future role in religious school administration.
- Friday night services
- High Holy Days and Festivals
- Prepare choir for High Holy Days evening services
- B’nei Mitzvah (Saturday mornings or Friday nights, average of 1 to 2 a month)
- Monthly Saturday morning Tot Shabbat
- Lifecycle events
- Teach music in Sunday School
- Co-lead Wednesday T’filah
- Teach Monday afternoon trope class
- Tutor b’nei mitzvah students (flexible hours, shared with Education Director)
The Cantor or Cantorial Soloist will participate in weekly staff meetings with our Rabbi and Director of Education, and in monthly Temple Board and Ritual Committee meetings.
Salary: Based on education and experience.