What is the Position?
Are you passionate about Jewish learning and living? Are you excited about engaging teens through dynamic and innovative experiences? We’re looking for someone to join our vision-driven Education Team as a Community Educator who has a particular affinity for working with teens in a thriving synagogue setting, and we’d love to hear from you!
We are a fully egalitarian Conservative congregation with a large and vibrant membership base of about 700+ member households. We are deeply committed to fostering Jewish engagement in an atmosphere of mutual respect and inclusion. Our families want their teens to be connected, to be inspired, and to see Temple Israel Center as their second home.
Who is the Successful Candidate?
You are a people-person, drawn to working with children of various ages, but especially teens. You are energetic, dynamic, captivating, and creative; a person who works well both independently and as part of a team. You are passionate about Jewish learning and living, and are comfortable working in the Conservative movement. You are motivated by the challenge of creating deep learning and engagement opportunities. You envision the big picture while also rolling up your sleeves to do the work that will translate into progress. Experience working at camp or in informal/experiential settings is certainly a plus!
What are the Responsibilities?
- Don’t wait for the teens to come to you. Reach out to the diverse groups of TIC teens to develop relationships. Leverage those relationships to build a robust teen program in collaboration with them, and in line with our vision for teen engagement.
- Collaborate with educators, teens, and parents to create innovative approaches for youth group engagement for 6th – 12th graders. Lead TIC’s USY and Kadima chapters, including Shabbatons and regular events.
- Help us create Jewish leaders of tomorrow by supporting teen learning with text-based resources that enhance their lives and inform their decisions.
- Nurture a teen community that connects with Jewish wisdom, acts on their values, and takes meaningful action to increase justice in the world. This includes planning regular social action/social justice engagement and possibly creating an annual immersive social justice trip/experience.
- Coordinate with other branches of the synagogue to involve teens in multigenerational activities, hesed projects within the TIC community, and leadership of children’s services on Shabbat morning.
- Be a core member of an inspiring Education Team! Collaborate on Shorashim (religious school) and synagogue-wide programming for youth, participate in weekly staff meetings as well as relevant meetings with advisory councils.
- Serve as an educator in Shorashim (Kdg-6th grade religious school) teaching on Sunday mornings as well as Wednesday and Thursday afternoons.
- Collaborate with the Director of Learning and Engagement and other members of the clergy-education team to develop thoughtful and engaging curriculum.
- Participate in the designing and implementation of teen educational experiences.
Shabbat and Holidays
- Involvement on Shabbat, ideally at least twice a month
- Ongoing relationship-building and community connections.
- Facilitate Shabbat teen minyanim and support teen leadership in the minyan.
- Develop other meaningful and social opportunities for youth and teens on Shabbat.
- Collaborate with the education team and clergy on large community-wide programs around various holidays as well as other communal events throughout the year.
- Schedule programs/events, ensuring that all logistics are attended to (will work in conjunction with the Education Administrative Assistant).
- Collaborate with Director of Learning and Engagement to help prepare annual budget for teen engagement initiatives.
This position is supervised by the Director of Learning and Engagement and includes mentoring and professional learning opportunities. You will also work closely with the Director of Inclusion to promote and support the inclusion of all children, teens, and adults.
When Do We Want You?
We are eager to hire the right candidate for this full-time educational leadership position, and the position can begin this spring or summer. Salary is competitive based on experience and an attractive benefits package is offered. For questions, more information, and to apply, please send resume and cover letter to Mara Braunfeld, Director of Learni**********************************