The Jewish Community Center of Greater Kansas City
Director of Jewish Experiences
About The J
Established in 1914, the Jewish Community Center of Greater Kansas City (“The J”) is open to people of all backgrounds and faiths, making it one of the most diverse and well-respected community centers in the Midwest. The J has over 11,000 individual members and welcomes hundreds of thousands of visitors annually to its cultural, fitness, education, child care, recreation, sports, theater, camping and senior adult programs.
The Director of Jewish Experiences is a knowledgeable and visionary professional with a proven ability to develop, implement and manage a year-round calendar of formal and informal Jewish educational programs, interfaith programs, and cultural programs. The Director also designs, manages and delivers Jewish experiences that engage all ages by providing the frameworks and tools necessary to celebrate, explore and participate in Jewish life. These programs include a variety of activities with overt Jewish content that bring Jewish and non-Jewish participants together to explore elements of Jewish traditions and cultures. The Director can network, fundraise and build relationships with a wide variety of stakeholders, while exploring and bringing creative ideas and national models to our programming. The Director is a member of The J’s Management Team and contributes to discussions and decisions that shape the organization as a whole.
• Create, manage and deliver a year-round calendar of formal and informal Jewish educational, interfaith and cultural programs
• Design and deliver experiences that engage diverse audiences in celebrating, learning about and participating in Jewish life
• Collaborate with volunteer task forces and stakeholders within and outside of the Jewish community to explore program ideas that address community interests and needs
• Interact with all J departments to offer insight on ensuring Jewish traditions and culture are incorporated into programming
• Provide ongoing education to staff about Jewish values, history, holidays and traditions
• Collaborate with staff of The J and the Campus to create and maintain an atmosphere that welcomes all visitors; conveys Jewish values and traditions; and provides opportunities for informal conversation
• Secure funding through grants and contributions
• Interact with the Marketing Communications department to ensure timely and effective marketing of programs
• Supervise the Coordinator of Jewish Experiences
Qualifications and Attributes
• B.A. required; graduate degree in Jewish Education, Judaic Studies or related field is preferred
• Deep knowledge of Jewish history, culture and traditions
• At least five years of progressive experience in social and educational programming and program administration
• Self-motivated, proactive, visionary, and creative
• Ability to articulate an inspiring Jewish vision
• Able to lead change
• Able to create and manage a budget with accuracy and flexibility
• Experience in a fundraising or revenue-generating position
• Passionate about growing Jewish pride and identity and strengthening the Kansas City community by engaging Jews and non-Jews
• Strong written and verbal communication skills
• Excellent interpersonal skills, including the ability to motivate, inspire and convene
• Able to identify, develop and maintain relationships that further collaboration
• Proven teaching and public speaking skills
• Supervisory experience preferred
• Hands-on management style (able to roll up sleeves when necessary)
Salary and Benefits
• Salary is commensurate with education and experience
• Medical, dental, vision, life and long term disability insurance
• Retirement plan with generous employer contribution and match
• Paid Time Off and Holidays
• Free Family Membership
• Generous staff discounts on preschool, summer camp and other J programs
About The J
The J is committed to creating a diverse environment. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status. The J is Shabbat-Observant Friendly.
The mission of The J is to build a strong, vibrant and inclusive community that enhances wellness, meaning and joy based on Jewish values, heritage and culture.
The J operates on these values:
• Welcoming + Inclusive - We are welcoming, inclusive and nurturing. We invite all to join us in making connections and lifelong friendships.
• Building Community - We believe in the strength of community and we seek to cultivate a sense of belonging in all we do.
• Enriching Mind + Body + Soul - We help individuals live a physically, intellectually, and emotionally healthy lifestyle.
• Passing on Jewish Culture + History - We celebrate and pass on the values, culture, history, and traditions of the Jewish people.
• Treat Others As You Wish To Be Treated - We treat everyone with respect, dignity and loving kindness.
Apply online at www.thejkc.org/careers. For questions or assistance, conta*********************