The Coordinator of a Workers Circle School must be a passionate educator who is dedicated to secular Jewish culture, to promoting the development of a secular Jewish identity in students and families, and to upholding the mission and values of the Workmen’s Circle. S/he will be charismatic with strong leadership skills, highly organized; has experience working with kids, teachers, and volunteers; is flexible; and is open to and able to incorporate constructive feedback.
The position will involve administrative work, leadership of the students and the teachers, and curricular and staff development.
The Education Coordinator should assume the full support of the Director of Education in terms of guidance with curriculum, teacher training, outreach, and parental communications, as needed. The Director is also there to provide assistance with finance and budgeting, including managing budgets and tuition management.
The responsibilities of the Coordinator are:
• Plan calendars for classes and activities.
• Plan and implement holiday events, with the cooperation of the teachers and volunteers
• Coordinate B’nei Mitsve Program (as applicable for children 11 – girls – and 12 – boys)
• Coordinate Social Justice/Community Service Program
• Evaluate, adapt, and implement curriculum for all ages. Offer feedback to Director of Education
• Help teachers understand curriculum and develop/prepare materials for lessons for all ages
• Ensure teachers and are prepared/knowledgeable about how to teach it
• Assist teachers in finding resources and preparing materials for students
• Evaluate educational programs and events
• Recruit new families and children to the school
• Take advantage of partnerships with Jewish and other community organizations together with Community Organizer and Director
• Lead marketing and outreach with Director of Education and evaluate progress
• Hire and supervise teachers, subs (as needed), and specialists (e.g., dance, music, theater, Yiddish)
• Ensure background checks for all teachers and specialists through the Workmen’s Circle
• Conduct teacher training sessions 2 times per school year (topics TBD by coordinator); Director of Education provides the training
• Conduct monthly staff meetings, as needed, and at least one preparation meeting prior to the onset of classes in September and January
• Establish and maintain regular contact with parents
• Generate community and sense of ownership among families
• Provide adult education/bonding opportunities (e.g., adult education, nosh ‘n’ drash, adult outings, social events, etc.)
• Solicit volunteer participation from parents
• Communicate via email and in person with the school community
• Facilitate contact between school parents and the school staff
• Facilitate contact between the school and the Workmen’s Circle
• Maintain clean, safe, organized setting for students; develop emergency plans
• Attend to family registration throughout the year
• Identify space and equipment needs; order resource materials and supplies
• Maintain communication with Director of Education through meetings, phone calls, emails, etc.
• Maintain and monitor all records that pertain to administration (e.g., employment records and files, registration, attendance, student information forms, etc.)
• Provide community updates quarterly , as requested, by the Workmen’s Circle Board of Directors