Make your mark on Jewish student life by joining Elon University Hillel as the Jewish Life Engagement Coordinator. You will build one on one relationships with students, put on awesome events around campus, mentor student leaders and help inspire students to make a commitment to Jewish life on a beautiful campus where our dynamic Jewish population keeps growing. You will be part of the Elon Hillel team, recently recognized by Hillel International as the "Great place to work"
You are a welcoming, inclusive, dynamic Jewish community builder who will creatively engage with Elon students, and inspire their participation and leadership in Jewish life. Your strengths include being personable, accessible, detail-oriented, organized, flexible, resourceful, passionate and enthusiastic. You are a team player. with demonstrated supervisory skills. You will be a a full-time Elon university employee who reports to the Director of Jewish Life and is an essential member of the Elon Hillel team, the Truitt Center for Religious and Spiritual Life staff, and the Division of Student Life at Elon.
What You’ll Do
You will be responsible for supervising Elon Hillel’s Engagement Interns and leading this important program, managing programs and events, mentoring and supporting students and overseeing immersive experiences such as Birthright and Spring break.
Lead the Engagement Internship Program
• Serve as a welcoming, inclusive representative of Jewish life at Hillel and across campus who is known and trusted by students.
• Supervise Interns, guide them in planning meaningful programs, facilitate weekly meetings; coordinate all related logistics.
• Mentor, recruit, train and support Engagement Interns. in creating and implementing engagement-focused 1:1, cohort-based and community programs
• Oversee grant applications and monitoring in Hillel’s fluxx program for all intern-related grants
• Oversee Elon Hillel’s participation in Hillel International’s student engagement metrics database (HEART).
• Develop and implement plans with the Director of Jewish Life for expanding on the success of this program in ways that further the mission of Elon Hillel.
• Plan and facilitate weekly student intern meeting.
• Supervise student interns who are responsible for engaging their peers in Jewish life on campus.
Manage Programs and Events
• Create, update, and follow checklists for events
• Serve as Elon Hillel’s point person for planning logistics of large events (Passover, High Holidays, etc)
• Supervise and mentor Elon Hillel’s Events Intern
• Plan logistics for and attend Shabbats on Friday evenings
• Mentor students in planning and implementing programs that fulfill Elon Hillel’s mission.
• Coordinate the planning and purchasing of event related catering, supplies, and materials.
• Register all events with Phoenix Connect and reserve space on 25 live
• Develop professional program flyers and newsletter submissions
Engage with, mentor and support students
• Actively engage with and connect with students
• With the Director of Jewish Life, mentor, support and supervise student board members in planning and implementing, promoting, and reviewing programs.
• Mentor student leaders and interns in developing leadership skills, such as managing conflict, adhering to deadlines, checking assumptions and clarifying expectations.
• Promote and participate in student programs Participate, lead and encourage student involvement in campus wide activities, e.g. College Coffee, Numen Lumen, sporting events, speakers on campus, performances, etc., as part of Hillel International’s engagement model, meeting students where they are.
• Meet with students from different cohorts and demographics on campus to engage them, identify their interests and connect to opportunities.
• Meet with students to help connect them with leadership roles in Hillel.
Oversee Immersive Experiences
• Serve as the key point of contact and logistics manager for all Elon Hillel immersive off-campus, short or longer-term experiential trips including Birthright and Spring break.
• Carry out Birthright recruitment strategies inspired by Hillel International.
• Oversee all aspects of registration, from data input to interviews, to check-in meetings, to follow up activities.
• Plan engaging Birthright awareness campaigns and interest meetings in coordination with Hillel’s Israel Chairs.
• Participate as a chaperone in immersive experiences
Participate as a Hillel team, Elon University staff and Hillel International community member
• Participate in weekly supervision meetings with the Director of Jewish Life (and other meetings if necessary), weekly Jewish Life team meetings, as well as regularly scheduled Truitt Center and Student Life meetings and retreats.
• Participate in professional development opportunities through Hillel International and/or Elon University on a regular basis, with approval from the Director of Jewish Life.
What You’ll Bring to the Job
• 1-3 years’ professional work experience
• Bachelors degree
• Strong entrepreneurial spirit. Things may not always go according to plan and you must be willing to take risks and learn your wins as well as your losses.
• Confidence initiating and running programs, and comfort asking questions.
• Ability to collaborate across teams both inside and outside of Hillel.
• Inability to get off an airplane without making a new friend.
• Belief that our work isn’t done until every Jewish student is connected to Jewish life.
• Willingness to admit what you don’t know, and excitement to learn in those areas.
• Creative problem-solving.
• Excitement to continue developing your own relationship to Judaism.
What You’ll Receive
• Competitive salary in the academic/nonprofit marketplace
• A comprehensive benefits package, including health insurance, retirement plan, Life, Disability (LTD) insurances, generous vacation/sick time, and parental leave.
• Amazing professional development and mentoring opportunities from Hillel and the University
• Free tickets to Elon's cultural and sporting activities (our performing arts programs is one of the best in the US!)
• The chance to be part of Elon Hillel and Elon University --
• As an Elon employee, you'll have access to campus amenities including dining, an amazing library, state of the art fitness facilities, lectures by world leaders and so much more
• Opportunities to travel nationally and internationally (Israel and beyond!)
About Sklut Hillel Center at Elon University
An Elon student recently said, “all students, Jewish and non-Jewish think Jewish life at Elon is cool.” It’s true. Jewish Life at Elon is vibrant and has more than doubled in the past 10 years – from 5% to 11% of the current undergraduate population of 750.
There is no one kind of Elon Jewish student. Our community is intentionally pluralistic and welcoming of all students, Jewish and non-Jewish. Hillel at Elon is dynamic, student-run, and student-centered, with a variety of programs and opportunities for all students. Everyone is welcome and encouraged to participate in our diverse range of programs, as together we celebrate our own traditions and learn about others. The Jewish Life Student Engagement Coordinator helps shape our dynamic, vibrant community.
Elon University’s commitment to experiential learning, outstanding teaching and mentoring, global experiences, and its excellent four year graduation has made it a top 100 National University. Our campus has also been nationally recognized as being one of the most beautiful in the country. Located in a small town without a large Jewish population, Elon University’s Hillel is the largest Jewish entity in its county. But Elon is close to the active Jewish communities in neighboring Greensboro and Durham, both of which boast many young Jewish professionals.
About Hillel International
In 1923, Rabbi Benjamin Frankel started Hillel with humble means, a noble mission and a breathtaking vision: to convey Jewish civilization to a new generation. Today, Hillel International continues to enrich the lives of Jewish students and is the largest Jewish campus organization in the world at more than 550 colleges and universities across North America and around the world. As Hillel evolves as an organization, the mission remains steadfast: to create lasting connections with every Jewish student that foster an enduring commitment to Jewish life, learning, and Israel and train them to become the next Jewish leaders.
Elon University is affiliated with Hillel International. Hillel International enriches the lives of Jewish students so they may enrich the Jewish people and the world, and envisions a world where every student is inspired to make an enduring commitment to Jewish life, learning and Israel.
Please apply using this link (http://xxxxxxxxxxxxx#xd_co_f=NGY4NjMyOGMtOGFlMC00NjQ3LWIxZWYtMDEwMWI0NDFiODA0~). We are not accepting applications through this careers site.