Founded in 1906, AJC seeks to enhance the well-being of the Jewish people and Israel, and to advance human rights and democratic values in the United States and around the world. Among Jewish advocacy organizations, AJC is the leader in the global arena. We are known for our unparalleled access to diplomats, government officials, and faith leaders in more than 100 countries. In addition to our New York headquarters and Office of Government and International Affairs in Washington, D.C., AJC has offices across the United States and around the globe and maintains partnerships with Jewish communities worldwide.
AJC’s Global Communications Department seeks an energetic and highly capable Director of Social Media to work on initiatives related to advancing and communicating AJC’s advocacy agenda.
The specific responsibilities outlined below are not exhaustive. The ideal candidate will be a utility player—able to identify new communications opportunities as they arise and work collaboratively to develop and execute them.
The Director of Social Media does all this while adhering to AJC’s core values: Respect, Teamwork, Integrity, Excellence, and Accountability.
Social Media Management
The Director of Social Media will be principally responsible for overseeing the management of AJC’s social media platforms, including, but not limited to, Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram. This work will require availability outside normal work hours to respond to breaking developments.
• Be responsible for ensuring a steady stream of posts on AJC’s global social media accounts that are consistent with AJC’s programmatic and advocacy priorities and responsive to current events;
• Closely follow relevant news and trending social media topics and develop and communicate AJC’s response, in concert with organizational leadership and other stakeholders;
• Develop social media campaigns aimed at galvanizing support for AJC’s advocacy agenda;
• Ensure relevant photographs and/or custom graphics are obtained from the Graphics team for posts;
• Initiate and manage social coverage of signature events and programs;
• Ensure outside comments posted to AJC’s global Facebook page are monitored, edited, and removed if necessary;
• Provide guidance and support to AJC regional offices and programmatic institutes that maintain their own social media presence;
• Devise, implement, and monitor ongoing social media advertising campaigns designed to boost followers and convey AJC advocacy messages;
• Devise, implement, and monitor a variety of tactics to convert Facebook “likes” and Twitter followers into email constituents and donors;
• Monitor relevant outside accounts and regularly research new platforms and trends that might be applicable for AJC;
• Gradually build and manage a team of professionals who will both manage AJC’s social media accounts and develop high-quality social media content.
Social Media Strategy
The Director of Social Media will be responsible for developing strategies to leverage social media platforms to advance AJC’s advocacy agenda, grow the organization’s social media footprint, and further cement the organization’s position as a leading player in the online conversation on the issues affecting American Jewry and Israel.
• Develop a comprehensive strategic plan for AJC’s social media presence, including the organization’s global, regional, and international accounts;
• Work with outside agencies and/or consultants to ensure that AJC’s social media presence remains relevant, impactful, and ahead of the curve;
• Advise AJC leadership on the best uses of social media to advance the organization’s work;
• Track metrics on a weekly basis for each of AJC’s global social media accounts and make strategic recommendations accordingly.
The Director of Social Media will assume additional relevant responsibilities, as needed.
• Seven plus years work experience in the field of communications, including at least three years’ experience overseeing a significant social media presence
• Bachelor's degree
• Exceptional writing, editing, and proofreading skills
• Flexible work style with the ability to work late and on weekends (often on short notice)
• Excellent interpersonal communication skills, especially across all levels of the organization, and pleasant demeanor
• Ability to meet tight deadlines
• Motivated self-starter capable of working independently as well as within a team environment
• Track record of demonstrating sound judgment by making appropriate decisions and knowing when to take initiative
• High level of professionalism with the ability to maintain sensitive and confidential information
• Understanding of online communications technologies
• Grasp of current events, particularly as they affect American Jewry, the Jewish people, and Israel
• Commitment to AJC’s global mission and familiarity with the Jewish community
AJC is an Equal Opportunity Employer.