The Administrative/Clergy Assistant will perform a variety of administrative duties that are necessary to run an organization efficiently.
Essential Job Duties / Responsibilities:
• Take requests from congregants and interested parties for meetings with the clergy and Executive Director
• Respond immediately to congregant emergencies such as death or illness by working with the Rabbi to attend to the needs of the family
• Work with families preparing for life cycle events such as Bar Mitzvahs, baby namings, weddings and funerals
• Use computer software to create spreadsheets; manage databases; and prepare email communications and documents
• Manage communications by creating synagogue-wide community emails about events and upcoming programs
• Assist with marketing and implementation of all special events taking place on site
• Prepare flyers and ads for synagogue events for various departments and committees.
• Assist in managing the website and social media sites
• Create monthly yahrzeit letters, birthday and anniversary notices, weekly yahrzeit lists and Shabbat announcements
• Manage memorial plaque wall and tree of life wall by taking requests from interested parties for purchases.
• Create weekly Shabbat Announcements, using tools such as ShulCloud, Word, Adobe, and MailChimp to put together a printed and electronic version of such announcements
• Assist with a higher volume of tasks during the High Holy Days, including facilitation of ticket requests, setting service times on the calendar, ordering Lulav/Etrog sets, creating the memorial book and assisting the Executive Director with mailings and guest ticket requests
• Perform front desk duties - screen calls, take messages, respond to inquiries and requests for information as directed, answer basic synagogue questions, greet guests, distribute mail, give tours to prospective members, process membership paperwork, etc.
• Work with Executive Director and Facilities Manager to coordinate and schedule rental usage of space for private parties and non-member event
• Operate a wide variety of office equipment including copiers, scanners, and computers to assist with printing flyers and supplemental materials for committees and staff. Serve as liaison for vendors and suppliers for office equipment
• Manage and purchase necessary office supplies.
• Other duties as assigned
Education, Skills, and Experience:
• Must be able to be a team player, work well with others and collaborate on projects with staff members and congregants alike
• Must have the ability to learn quickly and efficiently and the ability to work in a fast-paced environment with many distractions
• Basic knowledge of Judaism and familiarity with the Hebrew language, holidays, traditions, and customs
• Strong customer service skills and knowledge of business/office operations; interpersonal communication skills, organizational skills and exceptional attention to details; verbal and written communication skills; experience copy editing or proofreading
• Demonstrated experience handling multiple duties and prioritizing successfully
• Ability to maintain the confidential nature of data and information
• Experience with Microsoft Office programs (Word, Excel, PowerPoint) and Google platform a must, while membership Management Software such as Shul Cloud is a plus
• Experience with Adobe and email platforms such as Constant Contact or Mailchimp
• Knowledge of operating standard office equipment (printer, copy machine)
• Minimum of three years working as an office assistant, administrative assistant or similar field preferred, working in non-profit and/or Jewish organization a plus