The Jewish Federation of Greater Hartford is seeking a creative, dynamic collaborator to join its energetic team as Vice President of Development, our most senior development position. This person will plan and implement all annual campaign and other fundraising and development efforts. This key position requires passion for our mission, enthusiasm, excellent fundraising and organizational abilities, creativity, good humor and a results oriented focus. The ideal candidate will have exceptional interpersonal communication abilities and be able to successfully nurture mutually beneficial relationships.
Reporting directly to the CEO, the VP is primarily responsible for creating and implementing a comprehensive and strategic development plan designed to expand the annual campaign and overall communal philanthropic capacity of the Greater Hartford Jewish community. The successful candidate will develop, cultivate, and manage donors; design and implement creative and innovative fundraising strategies; recruit, organize and train volunteer workers; assure adherence to Campaign time schedules; oversee budgets; create and maintain files of donors and prospects; meet with individuals, corporations, and organizations to solicit funds for the Federation, and develop detailed knowledge of the Jewish community and philanthropic trends. The VP will assist the CEO with integrating fundraising across all Federation programs and strategic goals and will be an integral partner in expanding endowment and legacy giving.
The successful candidate will be an innovative leader and a team player with a strong sense of purpose, initiative, commitment and personal responsibility. This position is a hands-on role which will require confidence, flexibility, good time management, confidentiality, and the ability to be persistent and strategic when often juggling multiple tasks.
PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
In partnership with the Chief Executive Officer, Federation team, Campaign Chair, Campaign Cabinet and other volunteer committees:
• Develop and implement a strategic campaign plan which supports the mission of the organization and includes well-defined timetables for fundraising
• Oversee all campaign operations including recruiting, training, supporting, motivating and empowering campaign staff and volunteers; planning, organizing and implementing annual campaign events; coordinating on-line fundraising and direct mail efforts; managing the Campaign database and ensuring accurate reporting to track progress toward meeting campaign goals
• Build and maintain trusted relationships with key stakeholders and donors and implement strategies to increase their level of financial commitment
• Develop, cultivate and establish new donor relationships
• Collaborate with the VP for Marketing and Communication to develop marketing tools and materials for a well-rounded campaign communications effort including social and print media
• Supervise Departmental staff including but not limited to: Director of Women’s Philanthropy, Director of Business Partnerships and Affinity Groups, Director of Young Adult Division and Director of Campaign Operations.
• Other duties as assigned.
COMPETENCIES AND SKILLS
• Bachelor’s Degree; Master’s preferred
• Minimum three to five years of fundraising, campaign planning and volunteer management related experience
• Demonstrated track record of major gift solicitation and new donor development
• Experience in strategic planning, crafting and implementing a successful development or business plan, database management and budgeting
• Excellent written and verbal communication, interpersonal, relationship-building and leadership skills with a proven ability to interact effectively with a diverse body of volunteers, donors, professional staff and other stakeholders
• Strong computer skill required. Knowledge of Raiser’s Edge fund-raising software preferred.
• Significant involvement in and knowledge of the Jewish community; passion for and broad understanding of Jewish, Israel, and Israel-related issues
• Entrepreneurial self-starter, creative thinker and team player with excellent problem-solving and analytical skills, the ability to handle multiple tasks and meticulous attention to detail and follow-up
• Knowledge in the fundamentals of planned giving and endowment is preferred