Congregation Gates of Prayer is a Reform synagogue in Metairie, LA. We are currently celebrating the 170th anniversary of our founding. We have a vibrant Center for Early Childhood Education, a growing Religious School (J-FLEx), and an active population.
We are a hands-on congregation. Our auxiliaries are essential to our operations. The Sisterhood and Brotherhood actively support the efforts and programing of our congregation. Our executive board and trustees are made up of a diverse group of active members who are committed to the wellbeing of our community.
Tribe, our 20’s and 30’s engagement group, brings together young adults from across the Greater New Orleans area for Jewish and social programming such as Shabbat meals, tashlich, game nights, bowling and watch parties.
We are a midsized congregation (460 families), yet the programming we offer is as diverse and abundant as a much larger congregation. This is because we have a high percentage of engagement among our members.
Our cantorial soloist, Tory May, is retiring in June after serving our community for over 30 years. She has been a valued member of our clergy team and a beloved member of our community. We are hoping our new cantorial soloist will not only thrive as a leader of worship, but also as a part of our congregational family.
The cantorial responsibilities for our congregation are part time. As you can see from the job description below, it is possible for our soloist to engage in other employment or pursue other opportunities while serving our community.
In addition to serving as our cantorial soloist, Tory was our communications director. We do not expect that our new soloist has the same skill set, but we can discuss the options for making this a full-time position. We would be interested in any skills you may have in communications, education, or other.
Planning and executing music for all Friday night services as well as Saturday services when there is a Bar/Bat Mitzvah:
• We use Mishkan Tefilah
• We have between 10-12 B’nai Mitzvah per year
• Every once in a while, Rabbi Gerber will lead music to give the Cantorial Soloist a break (for example, Shabbat Shuvah)
• We share worship with the other two Reform Synagogues in New Orleans during the summer, so we only conduct services for one month during June, July, or August
Planning and executing music for High Holy Days:
• Selichot, Erev Rosh Hashanah, Rosh Hashanah morning, Erev Yom Kippur, Yom Kippur Morning, Afternoon and Yizkor/Neilah services
Planning and executing music for festival evening and morning worship:
• Sukkot, Passover, Shavuot, Erev Simchat Torah and Simchat Torah
• Above includes choosing music as well as hiring any instrumentalists needed
Prepare Special Shabbatot:
• Shabbat Unplugged every 4-6 weeks (a service that is entirely musical and utilizes visual t’fillah)
• Beatles Shabbat, Motown Shabbat, Shabbat Shirah, or any themes you choose (how many a year?)
Organize and conduct volunteer choir:
• Shabbat very 4-6 weeks with weekly rehearsals
• Annual Gathering of Choirs at St. Clement of Rome every October
• Annual joint Thanksgiving service with St. Clement
Music for the Center for Early Childhood Education:
• Teach music once per week
• Lead Friday morning Shabbat every other week with Rabbi Lexi
• Chanukah, Thanksgiving, Passover themed music in season
• Teach music for J-FLEx on a weekly basis (J-FLEx is our religious school)
• Classes can be creative and designed to your strengths
Please email Rabbi David Gerber for more***********************