WE ARE: Community Synagogue of Rye (CSR) is a vibrant, inclusive 440-family Reform congregation in Rye, NY. Inspired by Jewish teachings and traditions, we seek to be a center for spiritual transformation; to foster the creation of sacred relationships; and to give people the tools and resources to be God's partner in healing the world. CSR is known for being educationally innovative and we have developed a variety of meaningful teen experiences over the past several years. We are searching for an exceptional full-time Director of Youth Engagement to build personal relationships with our youth and to oversee a number of exciting initiatives, under the mentorship of the Director of Education.
YOU ARE: Our ideal candidate is a passionate Jewish educator who is able to connect with and inspire youth of all ages. You have experience engaging children and teens through experiential learning inside the classroom and beyond. You are creative, entrepreneurial, confident, compassionate and unafraid to take risks. You are open-minded, a team player, and want to further develop your professional skill set as part of a dynamic synagogue staff. You see the interconnections between synagogue based experiential learning and what happens at Jewish summer camp as having inherent and infinite worth.
As Director of Youth Engagement your responsibilities will include:
• Cultivating personal relationships with our youth, especially focusing on B’nai Mitzvah age through grade 12. Much of this will take place out and about in local coffee shops, homes, on weekend trips, etc.—meeting teens where they already are to connect and mentor one-on-one and in small groups.
• Creating and promoting diverse educational activities for grades 5-12 within and beyond the walls of the synagogue. Many of these engagement opportunities will take place in the late afternoons or evenings and on weekends. This will also include dedicated weekly teaching timeslots, on Monday evenings (in our CSR Teens program) and either Wednesday afternoons and Saturday mornings (in a K-6 class) or another weekday afternoon in our alternative Chavurah model (7th grade), to be determined depending on our staffing needs.
• Planning, managing logistics for, and chaperoning retreats and teen trips such as a weekend in Philadelphia, a Civil Rights Journey to the American South and the advocacy weekend for 10th graders at the Religious Action Center in Washington, DC.
• Advising “COSY” (Community Synagogue Youth), our senior youth group, and working with our newly restructured teen leadership board to further expand the reach of peer leadership at CSR.
• Liaising with our region’s Reform Youth Movement (NFTY-NAR) and advising youth and families on URJ camping opportunities
Spending your summer at a local URJ Camp (Eisner or Crane Lake) to foster the connection between the two institutions.
• Partnering with professional staff and lay leaders to organize multi-generational events such as the Purim Carnival, social action opportunities, and other community engagement programs.
QUALIFICATIONS, SKILLS, and ABILITIES: Bachelor’s Degree, preferably with a concentration in education, Jewish Education, Jewish Studies, recreation and/or psychology; experience working with teens as a teacher or counselor, or related experience at a residential Jewish summer camp; respect for the mission of the Reform Jewish movement; understanding of the developmental needs of children and teens; ability to communicate appropriately with professional staff, lay leaders and parents; and strong organizational and interpersonal skills.
The Director of Youth Engagement reports to the Director of Education and will work closely with the professional staff team. This is a full-time position including health benefits, spanning ten program months. This position, done in partnership with URJ Eisner & Crane Lake Camps would ideally be suited to someone who is desirous of and willing to spend their summers working at camp.
TO APPLY: Email your resume to Amy Rosenbaum, Dir************************ you have to offer and to learn more about what we’re doing to engage youth at CSR.