Since our founding in 1825, B’nai Jeshurun (BJ) has been at the forefront of the American Jewish experience. As we approach our third century, our vision is focused on the spiritual work of transformation and on the creation of a Jewish spiritual path that is authentic and profound, and helps every member seek and live his or her purpose to the fullest.
Our spiritual leaders and our nearly 1,800 member families share a vision of a diverse, dynamic, and welcoming community that offers many paths to Jewish religious life, while supporting one another in their spiritual quests. We are committed to honoring tradition while re-imagining and innovating our practices and programs to create a vibrant Jewish life for the 21st century. The historic BJ campus include our 100 year-old Sanctuary building and 92 year-old Community House, both listed on the National Registry of Historic Spaces and situated in a Landmark district. The campus operates 365 days/year for at least a few hours to as many as 18 hours, supporting daily prayer, youth and adult education programs, community meetings, special programs and events.
Reporting to the Executive Director, the Director of Operations will also work closely with BJ’s senior team to deliver operational excellence on a daily basis. The Director will oversee the campus and event operations teams (approximately 20 FTE), safety and security procedures, and sustainability programs, as well as supervise our outsourced IT management firm. The Director will develop and maintain collaborative processes and tools to ensure successful partnership between operations and program teams.
The successful candidate will partner with the Executive Director and the Board of Trustees Building and Security Committees on long-term capital planning, and oversee the relationship with key BJ vendors including custodial, security, and various specialty shops who support building infrastructure. A key member of BJ’s senior staff, the Director of Operations will serve as a visible community leader, working with BJ’s families, clergy, and board to ensure BJ is safe and secure, comfortable and accessible to all.
Campus Operations Role:
The Director of Operations will lead the Campus Operations Department, including an Facilities Manager, Building Caretaker and Assistant Caretaker, and addition full-time and part-time support staff. Duties include:
• Manage building/campus daily operations, including scheduling, contracting, and billing/budget management, for:
- Utility and Equipment contracts: Power, water, fuel, Fire, Security, HVAC, Elevators
- Custodial, trash and recycling services
- Professional Security and NYPD paid detail
- Building maintenance and repairs (w/Caretaker team)
- Building occupancy permits); Equipment Permits
• Coordinate facility operations with Event/Program Operations, Security Project, Capital Projects
• Develop and maintain Campus Facilities Masterplan with:
- Master Vendor Guide – contact and contract information
- Master equipment guide: Item, in-service date, maintenance plan, expected replacement date, annual cost estimates
- Floor by floor guide to equipment, systems, vendors
• Capital Projects Overview (w/Executive Director)
- Major projects with timeline and cost info
- Maintain up-to-date progress reports
Program/Event Operations Role:
The Director of Operations will lead the Program and Event Operations team, including an Event Operations Manager, part-time Event Managers, and additional full-time and part-time support staff whose duties include:
• Program and Event Operations Management
- Ensure daily operations planning and execution is excellent
- Internal and private event logistics
- BJ internal calendar for BJ programs and private or 3rd-party events
- Weekly production meetings with program administrators and other program leads
- Program set-up forms and procedures
• Support Space Rental program
- Pricing and resources
• Design and maintain structures and systems for one-off and recurring programs and events
• Manage event supplies and equipment, including building a functional inventory and creating organized, designated spaces, and working with designated facilities team members
• Consult with colleagues on special events such as fundraisers, concerts, etc
• Regularly update BJ staff on evolving Program and Event Operations procedures, protocols, systems improvements, etc, as needed
IT and AV Operations Role:
The Director of Operations will be responsible for AV and IT systems and equipment, and manage our outsourced IT Administration vendor and AV staff. Responsibilities include:
• AV services, including equipment, technology, training
• Manage IT administrator, prioritize work requests
• Maintain equipment inventory
• Ensure weekly equipment maintenance plans are adequate and cost-effective
SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE
Candidates need to exhibit the following leadership skills:
• Dedication to furthering BJ’s mission through operational excellence, effective communication and leadership, and an open, collaborative, and relational management style.
• Strong written and oral communication skills and excellent presentation skills
• Strong and efficient organizational skills and the ability to manage multiple projects at any given time.
• Strategic, flexible, and creative thinker.
• Reliable and discrete in all matters.
• Strong commitment to transparency and personal sense of accountability.
Education and Experience:
• Operations background including building safety and security certifications
• Five plus years of experience in an operations management role, with at least one year at the Director level or equivalent role.
• Prior experience in non-profit organization preferred; Jewish communal organization a plus.
• Strong background in budgeting and planning
• Experience and oversight with building systems (HVAC, electrical, plumbing, heat, etc)
• Ability to communicate effectively and persuasively with all constituencies: clergy, staff, board, and members.
• Solid technology skills including Word, Outlook, Excel, and G-suite
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYMENT
In recognition of our values, commitment to social justice, and responsibility to our employees, congregants, and the greater civic and national community, BJ is committed to equality of opportunity. To this end, BJ’s policy is to comply with the laws, regulations, and orders that provide for and impose obligations on employers with respect to the management of their equal employment opportunity programs. Accordingly, BJ conducts its business and practices in a manner that fully complies with all federal, state, and local laws governing equal employment opportunity. BJ’s compliance with such laws are intended to eliminate discrimination against employees or applicants for employment on account of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, marital status, age, national origin, veteran’s status, disability, or other factors unrelated to a person’s ability to do the job.