Youth Director Couple (Half Time)
Located in the heart of North Dallas, within the city’s southern eruv, Congregation Shaare Tefilla is a Modern Orthodox congregation comprised of nearly 200 families. Our membership is made up of a religiously and economically diverse mix of families and singles of all ages. With an influx of many young couples pursuing a healthy job market and seeking affordability along with a great quality of life, Shaare Tefilla has experienced substantial growth and has doubled in membership over the past 10 years. To facilitate and accommodate this growth, Shaare Tefilla has entered into a partnership with NCSY to create a joint Youth Director/ NCSY Chapter Director position.
The position is a senior position in Shaare Tefilla, interfacing with the Rabbi and the office administration, with the opportunity to develop skills in management, leadership, and public speaking. The Youth Directors will have the opportunity to deliver classes both to youth and adults, participate in the administration and management functions of the synagogue and play an integral role in the development of Jewish youth in Dallas in general, and our synagogue in particular.
We are looking for dynamic, enthusiastic, creative and child-centric leaders who will develop, manage, and execute our youth programming for third grade through high school, and will use our synagogue as a center for Jewish youth activities throughout Dallas through our NCSY partnership.
Responsibilities will include but are not limited to:
• Organizing and leading children’s tefilla and teen minyanim on Shabbat and high holidays, while creating the right blend of education, tefillah, and play for each age group.
• Train and supervise all youth support staff and volunteers.
• Creating special themed programming for major holidays and events.
• Organizing monthly special events like shabbatonim, Motzei Shabbat or Sunday programs (arts and crafts, sports, movie nights, etc).
• Attending NCSY Regional and National Conventions 3 times a year (assuming that they are not directly overlapping with major Shul events)
• Working with the NCSY City Director of Greater Dallas to direct more teen traffic to the Shaare community where appropriate, as well as to help transfer the headquarters of NCSY operations in Dallas to the Shaare Tefilla facility.
• Working with the NCSY City Director in developing a leadership cadre of teens that are involved in running events, and learning skills related to Jewish leadership through NCSY’s TLI program.
Additional operational responsibilities will include:
• Developing an annual schedule, budget and strategic vision for the department
• Assist in fundraising, create multiple revenue streams including event charges, donations, and partner grants.
• Weekly communication with parents through email newsletter.
• Designing PR materials for youth programs and marketing youth programs to the community, and creating a culture in the shul in which the congregants feel that there is a robust and dynamic youth department with engaged teens.
• Leading programming/class on a bimonthly or weekly basis.
• Organizing youth and synagogue retreats
• Assist in recruitment efforts to the broader community that will bring families to Shaare Tefilla
• Joining the Southwest NCSY staff for weekly meetings as well as attending staff conferences and meetings (assuming that they are not directly overlapping with major Shul events)
• Previous experience in youth leadership, programming and management preferably in a synagogue or educational setting.
• Dynamic and positive personality, capable of motivating others.
• Excellent leadership, communication and organizational skills with specific examples of these skills.
• Previous experience coaching / training others.
• Working knowledge of current technology including document creation, video production and social media.
Compensation: $55K. Opportunities available to seek additional employment elsewhere, including in conjunction with Akiba/Yavneh Academy.