The Well, Metro Detroit’s trendsetting and inclusive community building, education and spirituality outreach initiative for young adults and young families, is seeking a dynamic leader, spiritual entrepreneur and outgoing self-starter to lead the organization as its next Executive Director. www.meetyouatthewell.org
Who you are:
We are looking for someone ready to carry forward our mission of building a robust, connected and relevant Jewish community in Metro Detroit. You should be someone who loves creating innovative Jewish and spiritual experiences, connecting people and organizations, managing relationships, and executing large and small gatherings. The role will rely on strategic thinking and resourcefulness in order to approach daily and institutional challenges and will depend on an entrepreneurial energy and excitement about bringing new ideas to fruition.
What you’ll be doing:
Strategy and Programming
- Build out and execute The Well’s overall strategy and future trajectory of the community.
- Cultivate strong leadership and relationships with community organizations and individual participants.
- Ensure the excellence of all Well gatherings including regular monthly programs (not limited to: Tot Shabbat, Shabbat experiences, CSI, Holiday events, and other partner programs).
- Ideate creative models for new educational and experiential programs, utilize The Bucket List (our Board) and other leadership to co-create new experiences.
- Oversee the success of existing interest groups and help grow the number of groups through network weaving.
- Work with the Clergy Team at Temple Israel to coordinate efforts of Jewish Programming for youth, young adults, and young families.
Management and Fundraising
- Supervise a team of 2 - 4 full and part-time professionals and manage the overall budget for The Well.
- Work closely with staff and Bucket List leadership to create and execute appropriate fundraising strategies.
- Identify grant and fundraising opportunities; write and oversee execution of reports and proposals.
- Develop and cultivate relationships with community members, donors, and foundation officers.
Rabbinic/Spiritual Educational Leadership
- Create and build inspiring spiritual and educational Jewish experiences.
- Lead ritual experiences during programs, retreats, trips, and for individuals.
- Teach in formal and informal settings.
- Provide spiritual leadership to individuals, couples, and young families through programming, coffee dates, interest groups, and other specific opportunities.
Skills you’ll need:
- Proven Jewish communal leadership and management experience
- Experience as a Rabbi, Cantor, Senior Jewish Educator or Social Worker in a Jewish setting
- Experience with and openness to relate to people of all backgrounds, knowledge and observance levels
- Commitment to and investment in The Well’s mission
- Highly organized and with a keen attention to detail
- Resourcefulness; the ability to address problems large and small
- Ability to think about the big picture while also worrying about the details
- Direct development experience – campaign experience, donor cultivation, and/or grant writing experience highly preferred
- Willingness to pitch in and take action, a “can do” attitude - job may include anything from set up/take down of tables and chairs, to greeting people, to schlepping supplies to events
- Strong communication skills, both written and spoken
- Comfortable leading small and large groups, facilitating and organizing meetings
- This position involves a flexible schedule and you must be willing to work nights and weekends
What you’ll get:
- Competitive compensation ($80,000-$110,000 D.O.E.) and generous benefits
- Flexible working hours and locations; get your work done where and when you need to (being mindful of the nights and weekends for programs)
- All the coffee you can drink during “coffee dates”!
- Mentorship and professional development opportunities
- Experience running one of the most innovative Jewish projects in the world!
This position reports to the Clergy at Temple Israel.
About The Well and Detroit
The Well is a project of the Lori Talsky Zekelman Fund at Temple Israel, the largest Reform congregation in the country. Our belief is that Jewish community, ethics, values, and spirituality can and should be directly applicable to our lives, and should drive us to positively impact the world around us.
Temple Israel www.temple-israel.org
5725 Walnut Lake Road
West Bloomfield, MI 48323
Detroit is home to the most exciting young Jewish adult resurgence in the country! With an affordable cost of living, Midwest kindness, quality professional sports, arts and culture, a rebirth of the city center (not to mention an incredible local food scene) and a Jewish community known for its generosity, we’re convinced there’s no better place to be to have an outsized impact and to call home!
If you’re excited about this opportunity, please submit a cover**********************