WHO WE ARE
B’nai Israel Congregation is a multi-generational, diverse, inclusive Conservative congregation of over 1100 households in Rockville, Maryland. Founded in 1925, B’nai Israel is a warm, caring community where members find new ways to express themselves and experience Jewish living together.
B’nai Israel Schilit Nursery School provides a stimulating, nurturing, and supportive environment for young children and their families. In our Reggio-inspired programs, children are guided by our skilled teaching staff to become confident, inquisitive, and self-guided learners.
WHAT WE ARE LOOKING FOR
We are seeking an Early Childhood Director with passion and vision to provide energy and creativity in order to grow and strengthen our preschool’s full-day and half-day programs. The Early Childhood Director will engage all our preschool families – including those whose children are not enrolled in the school – in synagogue programs. The director will join a collaborative team of teachers, administrators, and other synagogue professionals who are dedicated to engaging families with our vibrant community. This is a 12-month, exempt position.
WHAT YOU WILL DO
• Develop and implement a vision of continuing excellence for the synagogue’s Early Childhood Department, and foster a culture to support the vision and goals
• Direct year-round half-day and full-day programs that integrate best practices in early childhood education with Jewish values and traditions
• Recruit, hire, supervise, and evaluate staff
• Develop and manage the department budget
• Plan and facilitate staff meetings and other professional development opportunities
• Communicate effectively with parents (prospective and current), staff, and the community
• Actively recruit and conduct outreach to prospective families
• Build and maintain excellent staff and family relationships
• Collaborate with clergy to enhance their involvement with Schilit Nursery School children
• Collaborate with clergy, professional staff, and lay leaders to develop programs that meet families’ needs
• Integrate preschool families into the synagogue community
• Collaborate with the Education Director and other synagogue staff to retain and support families as they transition from pre-K programs
• Serve as a liaison between the Early Childhood Department and the Education Department, the synagogue, and the broader community
• Represent B’nai Israel in community early childhood programs and organizations
• Ensure compliance with State of Maryland licensing requirements
WHAT MATTERS TO US
QUALIFICATIONS AND JOB REQUIREMENTS:
• Bachelors degree in Early Childhood Education or related field (Masters preferred)
• Certification in accordance with State of Maryland criteria
• Five years of early childhood teaching experience (experience in a Jewish setting preferred)
• Experience as a program director or supervisor of a preschool or early childhood education program
• Strong leadership and supervisory skills
• Familiarity with current research and best practices in early childhood education
• Understanding of Jewish traditions, values, and practice
• Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
WHAT MATTERS TO YOU
Salary range - $75,000 - $90,000
Our full-time employees are eligible to participate in our benefits and leave programs.
• Employer paid long term disability
• 403B retirement plan
• Separate paid vacation, sick, and personal days
• Paid holidays
B’nai Israel Congregation is an equal opportunity employer. We are also a partner member of the SafetyRespectEquity (SRE) Coalition, whose mission is to address sexual harassment and discrimination issues within the Jewish community.
Applicants should email their resum******************************orrespondence to the “Search Committee.”