BETH EL CONGREGATION OF THE SOUTH HILLS
Established in 1917, Beth El is a thriving and open community, a family welcoming to all. Affiliated with the United Synagogues of Conservative Judaism (USCJ), we are a full service, Modern Conservative congregation of 445 families located in the South Hills of Pittsburgh. Rabbi Alex Greenbaum and Associate Rabbi and Education Director, Rabbi Amy Greenbaum, have been innovative and inspiring leaders for our congregation for over 17 years. Similarly, our Executive Director has been with us for 20 years and is now retiring.
Beth El’s membership has been on a steady growth trajectory and its operations have been solidly in the black over the past two decades. To further secure its future, Beth El proudly initiated the Grinspoon Life and Legacy program. We are committed to inclusion and to providing an engaging Jewish experience for all people as we continue to modernize and remain relevant to the lives of today’s congregants.
Beth El participated as one of 20 original synagogues as part of the Ruderman Initiative, an educational program that ensures special needs accessibility throughout the synagogue, and we are welcoming to interfaith families and the LGBTQ+ community.
We have an active religious school, Kadima and USY chapters, Sisterhood and Men’s Clubs, and a busy events calendar with Adult Education, social action initiatives, family Shabbat, holiday activities, alternative services, Torah Yoga, and many more areas of Jewish programming. Our congregants are involved in all areas of synagogue life and work closely with the professional leadership team to create a community that is growing, alive, active and exciting.
About the Role
Beth El seeks a dynamic, innovative Executive Director for our growing congregation. You will be responsible for the day to day functioning of the organization and will work collaboratively to shape, promote, and execute Beth El’s strategic vision as we continue to move our congregation forward in creative and engaging ways. You will oversee management of Beth El’s finances and facilities. You will also oversee fundraising activities, congregational events and act as a liaison between our members, lay leaders, Rabbis and staff. You will support and encourage congregational engagement and lead the development and implementation of a plan to attract new members and retain existing ones. You will report to the Board President and support the Rabbis. This is a full-time position that requires commitment for Shabbat, holidays and congregational events.
You have proven yourself as a leader and supervisor. You love the Jewish people and are excited to get to know each and every individual in our community. Success in this position depends on your flexibility, empathy, and diplomacy. You have a diplomatic, gracious, cheerful, and stable disposition in working with congregants, colleagues, professional staff, lay leadership, and the general public. You are organized, take initiative to develop new opportunities and improvements while respecting and building upon past efforts. You are a seasoned, strategic, technologically competent, financially astute and operationally minded business professional with experience in successfully managing people and organizational development.
• Demonstrated success managing a team of administrative and facilities professionals, including a strong commitment to staff development and empowerment.
• Proven related experience at a non-profit membership organization, or transferable skills from roles in for-profit organizations, including fundraising and development.
• Proven ability to prioritize, delegate, and handle multiple tasks simultaneously while maintaining a positive outlook and a collegial, professional demeanor.
• Experience with a variety of management and governance models.
• Expertise with hiring, coaching, and performance management.
• Ability to delegate and provide proper feedback.
• Ability to foster collaboration and build consensus.
• Demonstrated expertise and competence in financial management, budgeting, recordkeeping, payroll administration and preparation of annual budgets and ongoing reports.
• Excellent oral and written communication skills.
• Demonstrated knowledge of Jewish life, rituals, traditions, religious observances and holidays.
• Appropriate computer and web skills, including but not limited to familiarity with Wordpress website platform, Chaverware, Microsoft Office, and QuickBooks, as well as management of the online events calendar.
• Strong skills and demonstrated experience overseeing facilities management, including security.
• Additional expertise in social media and marketing is a plus.
II. SPECIFIC RESPONSIBILITIES
Primary responsibilities will include, but are not limited to:
A. MEMBERSHIP RELATIONS
• Serve as a positive, supportive, and engaging contact for all prospective and current members addressing questions/concerns professionally and promptly.
• Along with Membership and Nominating Committees, assist in creating and executing a plan for membership engagement.
• Support the coordination of programs across all areas of the synagogue (committees, Religious School, Youth - USY/Kadima, Adult Ed, simchas, Bingo, etc).
• In collaboration with leadership, recruit volunteers as required and provide support where needed.
• Establish and maintain an electronic database of volunteers.
• Develop (or oversee the development of) a sound marketing plan to increase membership.
• Ensure maintenance/refreshing of the website.
• Ensure timely and accurate Beth El communications to congregants, including the Kol quarterly newsletter, weekly email and other social media.
B. SYNAGOGUE OPERATIONS
• Oversee financial management of the organization, including budgeting, income, expenses, and purchasing.
• Oversee the staff Bookkeeper and support the efforts of the Board’s Financial VP.
• Monitor the billing and collection of dues including dues adjustments.
• Provide timely and accurate financial reports for the Financial VP, Treasurer and Board.
• Track and report key metrics on the health of the synagogue.
• Support the annual budgeting process, working with the Treasurer and Financial VP.
• Ensure the execution of Development/Fundraising programs, including Capital Campaigns, providing necessary support for lay leaders/program chairs.
• Identify and cultivate internal and external sources of funding.
• Implement dues policies and support collections efforts, maintaining confidentiality.
Facilities and Property Management
• Direct and support maintenance personnel to ensure the healthy, safe and clean operation of all facilities.
• Manage tenant relations including, but not limited to, leases, issues management, direct maintenance and the scheduling of work.
• Review all ongoing service and equipment contracts and initiate new, competitively-bid contracts as needed.
• Ensure all facility repairs, renovations and improvements are completed within the agreed upon scope, budget and schedule.
• Work with the VP Administration and Executive Committee to develop a rolling three-year plan for facility maintenance and improvements.
• Establish and review all security, health and safety procedures in compliance with appropriate regulations.
• Ensure proper security protocols and personnel are in place at the synagogue
• Manage contracts with external security providers as needed.
• Partner with the on-site caterer on scheduling and security needed for special events.
• Ensure all contracts for events are scheduled, staffed and completed with excellence.
Congregational Events and Observances
• Attend all Yom Tov and Shabbat services and meals unless otherwise agreed to with the President.
• Oversee all aspects of High Holy Day planning.
• Provide support in all aspects of other observances and events such as Passover, Simchat Torah, Shavuot, Purim, Chanukah and Sukkot, special Shabbatot and key synagogue events.
• Maintain a professional, active presence at Beth El functions, services and events; troubleshoot issues and concerns as needed.
C. OFFICE MANAGEMENT
Leadership and Governance
• Sustain close, collaborative relationships with the Rabbis, Officers, Executive Committee and Board of Trustees to ensure goals and objectives are aligned with the Congregation’s mission.
• Provide advice, facilitation and support to the Rabbis and the Board.
• Interface with the Board and committees for information, resources, support and implementation of policies and practices.
• Partner with lay leadership to create a high-performing staff and lay team culture.
• Collaborate with President to prepare agendas for Board and Congregational meetings.
• Resolve or contribute to the resolution of issues both internally and externally to Beth El.
• Maintain professional membership in NAASE and other appropriate organizations.
• Maintain proper records and archive them so they are easily accessible by authorized personnel.
• Document appropriate procedures so others can follow in the absence of the Executive Director.
• Oversee the application of technology, including computers, networking, website and office equipment, and related servicing and purchasing requirements, as needed.
• Ensure all technology is working at peak efficiency.
• Evaluate, hire, train, supervise and cultivate the professional development of (where appropriate) administrative and custodial staff.
• Solicit, evaluate and hire vendors as needed and approved by President.
• Create and maintain job descriptions with summary description as well as specific tasks/ responsibilities.
• Create and implement a smooth on-boarding plan for any new employees.
• Ensure any staff terminations are in accordance with HR best practices and approval of President.
• Review all other personnel scheduling on a weekly basis in order to ensure coverage.
• Implement and maintain the Employee Handbook.