The Well, Metro Detroit’s trendsetting and inclusive community building, education and spirituality outreach initiative, is seeking a dynamic, entrepreneurial and outgoing self- starter to work closely with our growing team as our Director of Programming!
Who you are:
We are looking for someone ready to dive in and embody our mission of building a robust, connected and relevant Jewish community in Metro Detroit, with particular focus on engaging and linking together young adults. You should be someone who loves connecting people and organizations, brainstorming, building, and executing large and small gatherings. This job is for you if you get excited about creating timelines, thinking through program details, welcoming people into spaces, meeting new people, and creating impact.
What you’ll be doing:
- Ideate and execute monthly programs (including but not limited to: Tot Shabbat, First Fridays, CSI, Holiday events, and other partner programs).
- Optimize relationships with Jewish organizations and other local young professional groups on new and potential partnership programs.
- Manage and communicate programming calendar, timelines, and pre-program checklists.
- Connect with and manage relationships with local vendors (caterers, venues, rentals, etc.).
- Regularly execute (and attend) The Well’s programs in addition to supporting partner organizations events and programs.
Partnerships and Community Building
- Build, empower and lead lay host committees for each program or event.
- Network and connect with local professionals from Jewish and professional agencies and organizations.
- Network weave and serve as connector to plug participants into the right opportunities within the community.
- Engage and build relationships through one-on-one coffee dates with participants, lay leaders, and partners.
- Recruit participants to ensure success of events utilizing email, text, FB, or whatever the newest form of communication may be (or even phone calls if someone prefers them!)
Additionally you’ll be working closely with a small but fiesty team and reporting to The Well’s Director, Rabbi Dan Horwitz, meaning you’ll have the chance to grow as a fundraiser, grant-writer, op-ed publisher, strategic planner and more! Attending weekly staff meetings, brainstorming new ideas, and being aware of what is happening in Jewish innovation on the national level will also be part of your role. If you bring a little extra energy, and off the wall weirdness to the team, we’re sure you’ll fit right in.
Skills you’ll need:
- 3-5 years of experience creating, managing, and executing programs, events or parties
- Experience with and openness to relate to people of all backgrounds, knowledge and observance levels
- Highly organized and with a keen attention to detail
- Ability to think about the big picture while also worrying about the details
- Willingness to pitch in and take action, a “can do” attitude - job may include anything from set up/take down of tables and chairs, to greeting people, to schlepping supplies to events
- Communication skills should be on point, both written and spoken
- Comfortable leading small groups, facilitating and organizing meetings
- A sense of urgency
- Energized, excited and passionate about building communities, connecting people, and Jewish innovation
- This position involves a flexible schedule and you must be willing to work nights and weekends.
About The Well and Detroit
The Well is a project of the Lori Talsky Zekelman Fund at Temple Israel, the largest Reform congregation in the country. Our belief is that Jewish community, ethics, values, and spirituality can and should be directly applicable to our lives, and should drive us to positively impact the world around us.
Detroit is home to the most exciting young Jewish adult resurgence in the country! With an affordable cost of living, Midwest kindness, quality professional sports, arts and culture, a rebirth of the city center (not to mention an incredible local food scene) and a Jewish community known for its generosity, we’re convinced there’s no better place to be to have an outsized impact and to call home!