The Controller, under the supervision of the Executive Director, is responsible for the oversight of all finance, accounting and reporting activities of Congregation B’nai Jeshurun and the Cemetery. The Controller will be involved in supporting financial presentations to the Board of Trustees and the Budget, Audit and Investment Committees.
The Controller will lead all day-to-day finance operations and supervise two other professionals. The Controller has functional responsibility over accounting, accounts payable, accounts receivable, payroll, investment management reporting, and cash management. The Controller will work closely with Clergy and Senior Leadership in the budget development process and in the support of Temple operations.
• Oversee all accounts, ledgers, and reporting systems in compliance with GAAP standards.
o Manage all aspects of accounting, including billing, accounts receivable,collections, accounts payable, revenue recognition, cash management, payroll and financial statements preparation.
o Maintain internal control and safeguards for receipt of revenue, costs, and program budgets and expenditures.
o Manage accounting of Restricted Funds and Endowments.
o Maintain and assess financial controls to ensure accuracy of financial records and appropriate compliance procedures.
• Manage annual budget process in partnership with Executive Director, senior staff and the Budget Committee.
o Develop annual TBJ and Cemetery Budgets with Executive Director, senior staff and Clergy team.
o Monitor and analyze monthly operating results against budget. Develop financial and membership reports that give senior staff, Clergy and the Budget Committee tools to track trends and variances.
o Consistently analyze financial data and present financial reports to the Budget Committee in an accurate and timely manner; clearly communicate monthly and annual financial statements to Budget Committee, Board, and staff where necessary.
o Assist in the development and implementation of systems, processes and procedures as needed.
• Coordinate the annual independent audit of TBJ and the Cemetery.
o Serve as primary interface with external auditors ensuring that all schedules, reconciliations and statements are prepared timely for execution of annual financial audit.
• Maintain corporate documents and ensure Temple complies with various reporting requirements of local, state and federal agencies.
• Manages and facilitates Human Resources Reporting
o Oversee TBJ’s 403 (b) retirement plan working with outside plan administrator and appropriate Board committees.
o Manages Benefit procurement for employees in consultation with the Executive Director and Budget Committee.
• Liaison with the Budget, Audit and Investment Committees of the Board.
• Any other activities as appropriately directed by the Executive Director.
Professional Requirements and Skills
• Bachelor’s degree in accounting or finance
• Seven plus years of accounting, financial analysis and reporting experience
• Excellent written and oral communication skills
• Knowledge of 501(c)(3) structure and operations, fund accounting and best practices pertaining to restricted funds and endowments
• Ability to manage people, priorities and workflow
• Strong interpersonal, organizational, problem-solving and analytical skills
• Knowledge of employment practices, policies and payroll processing
• Computer and accounting software expertise including Excel, QuickBooks, applications and ShulCloud
• Independent thinker and self-motivated; personal qualities of integrity, credibility and commitment to TBJ’s mission