Hazon is the Jewish lab for sustainability. We’re the largest dedicated environmental organization in the American Jewish community. In aggregate we’re seeking to shift the nature of what it means to be Jewish in the 21st century – enabling and encouraging Jewish people to have an impact in the world and transforming Jewish life in the process. We are based in New York City and the Isabella Freedman Jewish Retreat Center in Falls Village CT. We also have offices in Denver, Boulder, and Detroit.
We seek to hire a Special Events Coordinator to work within our Finance Resource Development Department (FRD). This position will coordinate Hazon’s responsibilities for the Israel Ride, a full time and year round commitment. Since 2003, over 1,800 participants have taken to the roads of Israel -- bridging their connection to Israel with their care for the environment. The Israel Ride partners with Hazon and the Arava Institute for Environmental Studies, along with our key marketing partner JNF. This candidate will work closely with Hazon staff in New York, as well as Arava Institute staff in Israel and Boston. They will also work closely with key lay leadership volunteers throughout the year who make the Ride possible. This position will report to the Associate Director of Special Events.
Customer Service and Ridership Development:
• Assist with customer care by phone, email and in person to riders and donors - ability to engage with people from many backgrounds, knowledge levels, and abilities.
• Respond to registered and prospective participant inquiries in a timely manner.
• Maintain and enhance registration site, participant portal and Israel Ride website.
• Assist Riders with online registration, fundraising portal, flights, trip add-ons; collect missing information and payment as needed.
• Support riders in reaching and surpassing their fundraising minimums.
• On the Ride: support hotel team and tour provider with check-in, housing/room assignments, prepare/update briefing materials, merchandise sales.
Logistics: Registration and Data Collection:
• Serve as a member of Hazon delegation to the Israel Ride Board.
• Work closely with staff in NYC, Boston, Israel; maintain clear, open communication across staff.
• Serve as the year-round logistical backbone of the ride.
• Manage all participant data: housing, bike needs, travel, add-ons.
• Provide weekly update to Israel Ride Board on sign-ups, cancelations, and fundraising totals. Track trends over time.
• Update and prepare printed/electronic material for Ride: Guidebooks, Handbooks, and Nametags.
• Together with special events team, Interface with Arava Institute on all Israel Ride accounting and financial reporting matters.
• Concurrently execute on current ride while planning for the next two rides.
Marketing/ PR: Recruitment and Events:
• Work with Hazon MarCom team and Israel Ride Marketing Team to manage social media for the Israel Ride (regular IG/FB posts) and arrange for appropriate ads and promoted posts.
• Create emails (Mailchimp) as part of communications schedule to provide riders with regular updates and to market information sessions & events.
• Participate in weekly meeting of Israel Ride marketing/PR Team.
• Collaborate with Israel Ride Marketing team to create on-brand “swag” for the Israel Ride (jerseys, jackets, socks, gifts, etc), coordinate shipping.
• Maintain, update and enhance all aspects of Israel Ride website (for riders and prospects).
• Regularly update event materials: Flyers, FAQ Documents, RSVP Forms, Website Event Page.
• Collaborate with Israel Ride Photographers and Marketing Team to ensure high quality photography.
Hazon FRD Special Events Strategy:
• Suggest fresh ideas that improve Israel Ride experience from year to year.
• Together with the Associate Director of Special Events.
o Revisit and update recruitment/retention strategy in light of the competitive and evolving landscape of Israel biking experiences and athletic peer-to-peer fundraising events in general.
o Develop and recruit for pre/post ride travel experiences.
• Assist with other Hazon FRD Projects, Special Events and Programs as assigned.
• Represent Hazon and/or the Israel Ride at Info Sessions, Tribe Ride, Community Events.
• B.A. degree from an accredited university.
• 2+ years prior experience coordinating large special events, travel, or immersive experiences.
• Passionate about Hazon’s vision of a vibrant and healthy Jewish community, in which to be Jewish is necessarily to help create a more sustainable world for all.
• Exceptional interpersonal and communication skills, with the ability to build strong and effective internal and external relationships.
• Excellent organizational, technological, and analytical skills – comfortable using, analyzing, and manipulating data and financial records.
• Excellent time management skills for both short-term and long-term planning.
• Ability to work and partner with multiple organizations and lay stakeholders.
• Clear understanding of branding and the ability to work with third party vendors.
• Available to work occasional nights and weekends (including the full length of the Israel Ride).
• Current US driver’s license and ability to obtain a US Passport.
• Bonus: Demonstrated understanding of both American and Israeli culture as well as the ability to work with a wide range of Jewish denominations.
• Bonus: Passion and Experience with Biking!
• Bonus: Experience with integrating social media into event planning and execution.