Pardes Jewish Day School is a premiere Jewish independent school for children in grades kindergarten through eighth grade, founded in 1993. Pardes is the largest Jewish Day School in Arizona, located in Scottsdale. The School prepares students to become outstanding members of society through a rigorous secular and Judaic education, a nurturing community, and a foundation in Reform Judaism that welcomes all Jewish traditions. . For more information about Pardes Jewish Day School, please visit www.pardesschool.org.
Pardes Jewish Day School seeks a part- time middle school humanities teacher starting in January 2020, with the strong possibility of it becoming a full time position for the 2020-2021 school year. The candidate will be joining a team that values collaboration and teamwork. This team will be focused on co- creating curriculum that uses inquiry-based teaching strategies, with an emphasis on collaborative learning and active student engagement.
The ideal candidate is someone who will inspire young people to be excited about humanities. The successful candidate will have grade level expertise in English and history, as well as the ability to engage middle school students in meaningful inquiry, problem solving, and collaborative exploration. Pardes’ desire to expand its emphasis on project-based learning provides opportunities for creative approaches to teaching and learning.
Essential Requirements, Duties and Responsibilities:
• The ability to teach 7th and 8th grade English and American History content
• A strong understanding of the developmental and learning needs of middle school children. This includes teaching good study skills as well as comprehension, writing workshop, grammar, vocabulary and historical thinking skills
• Familiarity with tablets, laptops, spreadsheets and other software as tools for engaging students to enhance the teaching and learning of mathematics
• Experience in a mobile learning environment or desire to be part of one
• Understanding of 21st Century skills and the implementation
• The desire to continue learning humanities by collaborating with colleagues, reading and implementing ideas from professional journals, attending workshops, conferences, and continuing education courses
• Standard supervisory, advisory, and elective duties
• Enthusiasm, flexibility, and a cooperative spirit
Additionally, successful candidates should demonstrate:
• A love of working with Middle School students
• A passion for teaching humanities
• An affinity for collaborative curriculum development
• An engaging teaching style
• A strong desire to be part of a collaborative team and to work collaboratively with that team
• Ability to create strong relationships with parents
• Participation in all aspects of school life, including after-school coaching, club leadership, and enrichment programs (is preferred but not required)
• The ability to create and promote an inclusive learning environment
• Strong verbal and written skills
• Flexibility, patience, high energy, sense of humor
• BA in Education (Master’s degree in English or History preferred, but not required)
• 3+ years teaching in a day school environment (private school experience preferred but not required)
Desirable technology skills
• Microsoft – general use of the operating system and file management
• Gmail/Google Mail
• Google Drive & Docs – file storage and collaboration tool
• iPad and IOS
This position is an excellent opportunity to become a member of a community of highly qualified and dedicated thinkers, innovators and leaders in their fields.
Applicants should submit the following to Anna Lock, A**********************ls)
• A cover letter explaining your interests and qualifications
• A current resume
• The names, email address and telephone numbers of three references
• Two letters of recommendation
Pardes Jewish Day School, as an equal opportunity employer, does not discriminate in its hiring of employees on the basis of race, color, sex, sexual orientation, religion, creed, national origin, citizenship, marital or veteran status, age or disability. We actively seek diversity among faculty and administration as well as among students.