Berman Hebrew Academy is a Modern Orthodox Jewish Day School that provides an extraordinary, comprehensive Jewish and secular education in an atmosphere of reverence, good citizenship, and love of the Jewish people and Israel.
We are searching for a Middle School Principal to start during the summer of 2020. We believe that you possess an internal fire for educational leadership that's been fanned by experience, connection and success. You build the structure of our middle school that will promote each child’s Jewish growth, academic success and social/emotional development. You are entrusted to serve the unique needs of each student and family, to build positive, productive relationships, and to serve as their primary source of support. You model the culture through words and actions. You help families navigate the natural changes that come along during the middle-school years. Beyond the technical aspects of the position, we believe you are a servant leader.
You will lead by example in three key areas, each requiring unique attributes, skills, and experience: educational leadership, religious/cultural leadership, and operational leadership.
You are an educational leader who:
• works with the faculty to build a vision of great teaching and learning together, creating together an atmosphere of accountability for achieving that vision.
• supports, observes, supervises, and helps to evaluate the faculty.
• creates student-centered schedules.
• conducts regular meetings with faculty that will deal both with routine school matters and with the stimulating exchange of ideas on issues of educational/philosophical interest and concern.
• oversees the hiring and supervision of instructional and support personnel as well as the direction of athletics, student life, and facilities.
• articulates advances and trends in pedagogy and education and make sure they are reflected appropriately in all classrooms.
• works with the Director of Teaching and Learning to review and evaluate the academic programs, including for horizontal and vertical curricular flow.
• establishes programs for in-service training of all teachers.
• supports the Dean of Students in the academic guidance of students.
You are a cultural leader who:
• maintains alignment between the school’s mission and all activities of the division.
• creates an environment and system that is conducive to, and appropriate for, adolescent learning and development focused on student-centered, personalized learning
• encourages a collaborative work environment.
• articulates the division’s programs, expectations, behavioral guidelines, and other information necessary to ensure that all constituencies are aligned.
• builds a culture and environment that promotes religious engagement and spiritual inspiration for each learner.
• identifies areas for growth for the division each year and galvanize the middle school faculty/staff towards the annual goals for the division.
• is a visible presence in all areas of the school, and of the school off campus.
• builds a community of teachers and students where school culture and values are upheld - design school policies, procedures that help to create that environment.
• recognizes the individual differences, special abilities, and strengths of each teacher, striving to create unity, harmony, and cooperation.
• effectively and appropriately responds to parent concerns and communications.
• models continuous improvement and growth, seeking and engaging in ongoing professional development.
You are a systems thinker and operator who:
• works to ensure that entering sixth graders and outgoing eighth graders experience seamless transitions into and out of the middle division.
• maintains systems that monitors each student’s progress, attendance, and citizenship.
• maintains the budget for the division.
• works with the business office to oversee the non-instructional staff.
• oversees and directs the activities of the department chairs, the sponsors of various student organizations and activities, and faculty committees.
• ensures compliance with relevant legal requirements and maintain the educational standards established by the state and by those agencies that examine and accredit the school.
• informs the Head of School about the goings-on in the middle school.
• assists in the admission process for the testing, interviewing, and evaluating of applicants for enrollment.
• develops a comprehensive calendar of school events and keep the entire school community informed of various school programs and activities.
• Bachelor’s degree required; Master’s degree in education or school administration preferred
• 5 – 7 years' experience as a lead teacher
• 2 – 3 years' experience as an administrative leader, preferably in independent schools
• Proven success at working collaboratively in educational leadership
• Dynamic instructional leader with a solid understanding of the developmental and curricular needs of students of the division
• Outstanding leadership skills
• Exceptional written and oral communication skills
• Excellent organizational and presentation skills
• Strategic thinker and empathetic problem solver
• Technologically savvy
In exchange, we offer you the chance to create something truly exciting: a school that really changes the lives of promising, engaged students in the D.C. area, developing them into leaders who serve others. We also offer generous compensation and benefits.
Equal Opportunity Employer
Berman is proud to provide equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, sex, national origin, age, or disability.
Please apply online as soon as possible and no later than January 15, 2020 for consideration for the position. http://xxxxxxxxxxxxx