Congregation Emanu-El is the fifth largest Jewish Reform congregation in the USA and the oldest Jewish congregation west of the Mississippi. Officially established in 1850, and located in a landmark temple in San Francisco, Emanu-El serves as the foundation of community life for Jews and non-Jews, for members and non-members, with innovative programs in Worship, Community and Education that span the cycles and events of life. Emanu-El also partners with Congregation Sherith Israel in the Hills of Eternity/Home of Peace (HOE/HOP) Management Group for the administration of three cemeteries in Colma, California.
The Associate Director of Development works closely with the Development Team to plan, implement and coordinate effective multi-year strategies and plans for gift prospects, while supporting the Director of Development’s overarching goals and vision.
The Associate Director of Development should understand and apply principles of developing donor strategies and manage the full life cycle of donor engagement. They can confidentially discuss legacy and annual giving opportunities. The Associate DOD provides opportunities for donors to receive recognition and increase future giving. They are conversant with Emanu-El’s mission, programs, and Emanu-El Next (capital campaign) in detailed terms. The Associate DOD understands project budgets and may build proposal budgets. They will be required to use Emanu-El’s donor database and manage one (1) full-time staff member who processes and acknowledges gifts.
Responsibilities and Scope:
• Develop annual fundraising goals and objectives in consultation with the Director of Development; creating a development plan to research and identify new prospects, make calls, and build a prospect pool based on new prospects and past donors.
• Oversee the management and strategic direction for the Impact Fund (annual giving) – specifically mid-high-level donor renewals and upgrades.
• Develop and implement a stewardship system that recognizes donors at all levels.
Works collaboratively with Emanu-El Clergy and Board of Directors on the recognition plan, including carefully orchestrated personal touch-points/small lunches or Shabbat dinners for the Congregations’ donors.
• Donor/Member Database
Manage gift processing/acknowledgement staff-member and oversee process
• Oversee research of individual prospects and proposal development
• Bachelor’s degree and 5 years related experience or an equivalent combination
• Experience in building and maintaining long-term relationships with fundraising constituents
• Experience in managing and tracking multiple prospects and donors
• Experience working with cross-functional teams, preferably in a large non-profit
• Experience, coursework, or other training in current trends in charitable giving in the areas of capital campaigns, major gifts or planned giving
• Ability to design and manage fundraising plans, including individualized cultivation, solicitation and recognition plans.
• Ability to educate and inform prospective and existing donors about appropriate giving vehicles.