Congregation Or Atid (“Light of the Future”) in Wayland, MA is a dynamic and committed congregation of more than 150 households that is part of the vibrant MetroWest and Greater Boston Jewish Community. We are a progressive, egalitarian Conservative congregation that openly embraces individuals and families of different backgrounds.
The Synagogue Administrator provides general support with specific responsibilities designed to ensure the smooth operations of the synagogue, the Jewish Learning Collaborative of MetroWest (religious school), and community and life-cycle events, plus maintaining and fostering relationships among the entire community. Given the sensitive and personal nature of some of the interactions, a high level of discretion and respect for the confidentiality of private information is required.
We are looking for an experienced and skilled part time Synagogue Administrator who is caring and friendly, has an eye for detail, is self-motivated and can communicate effectively in a wide range of personal and professional situations. A positive attitude and pleasant demeanor are necessary. Consistent attendance is required.
Key responsibilities and Duties:
• General receptionist duties: greets all congregants, staff, and visitors entering the building
• General office administration: Answer phones – screen and direct calls, answer questions, take messages; prepare, print, and mail monthly letters and other correspondence; maintain organized filing systems; copying, faxing, data entry, mail and delivery sorting; office supply inventory maintenance and ordering; other general clerical functions and staff support as needed; proactively scheduling and coordinating vendors and service providers for building maintenance and repairs
• Maintains the community calendar. Has a system to anticipate and schedule meetings, events, programs, and appointments.
• Manages the logistics for community events, program RSVPs/registrations, materials, and various communications with attendees; coordinates building usage for community events, funerals, other building rental/usage requests
• Assists in coordinating Shabbat, Jewish holidays, and life cycle events
• Works with B’nei Mitzvah families to coordinate event planning, including arrangements with vendors, caterers, and families; proactively maintains communications with B’Nei mitzvah families
• Maintains accurate yahrzeit records; sends out monthly yahrzeit notices
• Maintains and uses FamilyID for religious school registration and forms
• Maintains synagogue database and distribution lists for all relevant family and child data; drafts emails through Constant Contact
• Supports Rabbi and lay leaders in making administrative arrangements for events and speakers/guests
• Assists with outreach and helps manage social media activities – manages website, Facebook page and Constant Contact
• Helps with some local shopping needed for programs (food, supplies) • Occasionally assist with the set-up and clean-up of activities (preparing light snacks or dinners for small programs or religious school)
• Performs other related projects and administrative duties as assigned
Skills and Experience:
• Exceptional interpersonal, organizational, verbal, and written communication skills
• A strong comfort with technology. Has the basics of Word, PP and Excel covered. Has some graphic arts capabilities and likes learning new technology platforms. Has basic ability/experience with social media platforms, including but not limited to, Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, Pinterest, and others (this position will be handling some tasks associated with marketing and will need to have a good eye and some artistic capability.) Familiarity with WordPress.
• Must be extremely dependable and efficient, and be able to work quickly and accurately
• Has familiarity with Jewish holidays and life cycle events and traditions
• Proven ability to handle and maintain sensitive information with care. It is critical for the candidate to maintain confidentiality.
• Maintain a customer/congregant friendly demeanor at all times
• Ability to prioritize and multi-task projects in order to meet deadlines and manage activities
• Ability to work independently and problem solve
• Ability to work collaboratively with staff and synagogue volunteers
• Flexibility; ability to adapt to changing circumstances and priorities
Job Type: part-time, approx. 16-20 hours per week which include, other hours flexible/negotiable (evening meetings periodically – fewer 1/month).
Current anticipated schedule:
• School leadership and teaching staff
• Lay leadership (as needed)
Preferred Education and Experience
• Associate’s degree or higher preferred
• Minimum of 4 years in an Administrative Assistant role required; supporting one or more high-level executives
Salary range: $18-22/hour