About the Gan Haverim Preschool and Congregation Bet Haverim community:
The Gan Haverim Preschool is located in Davis, CA, home of the University of California, Davis. Davis is a dynamic university city located midway between San Francisco and Lake Tahoe, and 20 minutes from Sacramento. Gan Haverim is housed within Congregation Bet Haverim (CBH), a vibrant Reform Jewish congregation of 275 families with an active education and youth program.
Gan Haverim, which means “Garden of Friends” in Hebrew, offers a unique, Jewish-inspired, play-based learning environment for children of all faiths and ethnicities ages 2-5 years. With an enrollment capacity of 55 students and year-round programming, Gan Haverim offers both preschool and full day options. Families can choose to enroll for two, three, four or five days per week. The emphasis is on Reform Jewish values in an emergent, play-based curriculum where children are inspired to explore, celebrate and learn in a friendly, safe and stimulating environment. Gan Haverim welcomes all families, and CBH membership is not required to enroll.
Gan Haverim is looking for a dynamic director who can take initiative and is capable of building upon the preschool’s well-respected heritage and reputation as a nurturing, collaborative community for hundreds of Yolo County families for more than a decade.
GENERAL JOB DESCRIPTION:
The Director supports the mission and philosophy of the synagogue and is an essential member of the senior staff. The Director will report to the CBH Executive Director and is responsible for all aspects of the daily operation of the Preschool including curriculum development, staff hiring, supervision and professional mentoring, marketing and communication, recruitment and enrollment, parent relations, budget development, purchasing of supplies and equipment, property maintenance and other duties which may be identified on an ongoing basis.
This position requires strong supervisory, leadership, and communication skills along with a welcoming and nurturing disposition. Must be able to work positively within a parent-participation school environment and promote an atmosphere of community and cooperation among all interested parties.
QUALIFICATIONS AND JOB REQUIREMENTS:
• Bachelor’s degree or higher in Early Childhood Education (ECE), Child Development or a related field.
• Experience as a Program Director or Site Supervisor of a preschool and/or an Early Childhood Education program.
• At least two years of classroom teaching experience in a preschool and/or an Early Childhood Education program.
• Must meet State of California’s required licensing credentials and pass a background check.
• Experience with preschool licensing procedures.
• Knowledge and appreciation of Jewish traditions, values, and practice. Knowledge of Hebrew a plus. Willingness to learn and implement a Jewish curriculum.
• Excellent interpersonal skills, and the ability to create and maintain positive partnerships with families and staff.
• Excellent verbal and written skills.
• Ability to communicate with warmth and clarity with children, their parents/guardians, and staff – in person and in writing.
• Strong leadership and supervisory skills, including ability to provide vision and creativity to grow and strengthen our ECE program through a commitment to the play-based philosophy of learning.
• Excellent managerial skills, including the ability to multitask, problem solve, and support teamwork and staff morale.
• Team player who enjoys collaborating with others. Eager to partner with members of a dynamic senior staff to integrate young families into the wider CBH community.
• Maturity, flexibility, integrity, accountability, and a can-do attitude.
• Computer literacy including Excel, Word, Constant Contact and digital photography.
• Ability to lift 30-50 lbs.
RESPONSIBILITIES include but are not limited to:
• Lead the design, implementation and oversight of a developmentally appropriate, play-based, emergent curriculum based on Jewish values and practices.
• Review students’ development, abilities, special and daily needs.
• Plan and maintain procedures for the management of children’s daily routine and curriculum experiences.
• Develop protocols for addressing children’s challenging behavior and train teachers on their implementation.
• Manage a year-round preschool program.
• Partner with CBH clergy on early childhood programs / activities for the community beyond the Preschool (i.e. Tot Shabbat, holiday programs, Purim Carnival, etc.).
• Handle day-to-day administration, including purchase of routine equipment and supplies, and utilization of office/classroom space and resources.
• Ensure compliance with health, safety and licensing regulations.
• Create and implement school-wide policies and procedures.
• Assist in preparing the Preschool’s annual operating budget, tuition plan and staff compensation plan and monitor the budget on an on-going basis. (Working with the CBH Executive Director).
• Plan the yearly calendar, schedule and coordinate school holiday and end-of- year social events.
• Oversee the planning and preparation of nutritionally-sound daily snacks.
Staff Supervision and Leadership
• Recruit, hire, and train teachers and substitute teachers.
• Ensure staffing needs of the Preschool are met at all times and arrange for substitute help.
• Manage, evaluate and mentor teachers.
• Conduct regular staff meetings.
• Plan and implement regular professional development opportunities for teachers.
• Maintain a positive and constructive team atmosphere.
Parent / Community Relations
• Cultivate and maintain solid parent/teacher partnerships through open-door, responsive and proactive communication.
• Respond promptly to enrollment inquiries and conduct outreach to prospective families (tours, orientations).
• Develop recruitment plans and marketing materials as needed to promote the Preschool. (Assisted by the CBH Executive Director)
• Serve as the primary point of contact for the Gan Haverim Parent Committee.
• Develop, update and maintain all enrollment documents and materials.
• Author the Parents’ Weekly Bulletin and other communications to parents as needed.
• Maintain the Preschool website and other social media presence. (Assisted by the CBH Executive Director)
• Schedule and coordinate family informational meetings as needed.
Congregation Bet Haverim (CBH) & Community Relations
• Represent and espouse the Jewish values and philosophy of CBH.
• Serve as liaison between the Preschool and the CBH community, advocating priorities and concerns on behalf of the Preschool, and maintaining open and ongoing communication between the two.
• Participate in Temple-wide activities deemed important to promote integration of early childhood education and new families with young children into the greater CBH community.
• Build positive and collaborative relationships with the CBH Board of Directors, Rabbi, and Senior Staff.
• Attend CBH Board meetings periodically and provide reports as requested.
Congregation Bet Haverim offers a competitive salary and benefits package. Salary range: $60,000 - $65,000. Specific information on salary and benefits will be provided to candidates invited to interview.
• Interested applicants should email the following in PDF format: resume, cover letter and contact information for three professional references. Email subject line should say “Gan Haverim Director application.”
• Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis. The position will remain open until filled.