Huntington Jewish Center (HJC), a Long Island Conservative synagogue (USCJ) in western Suffolk County, is looking for a warm, knowledgeable, well-organized, energetic, part-time Director of Religious School. The ideal candidate is an effective administrator, organizer, planner, thinker, educator, communicator, and community-building leader. S/he will be familiar with the Conservative Jewish community and programming supporting progression from early childhood through post-B’nai Mitzvah education in Judaic and Hebrew studies. S/he will have access to advisors/consultants in curriculum and program development, including the Rabbi, Cantor, and others, as needed.
1. Effectively manage people, budget, curriculum, and educational and social events/programs
2. Oversee Religious School operations, including student recruitment and registration, security/emergency planning, budget, ordering textbooks and supplies, report card preparation, coordinating programs/events/activities with synagogue, etc.
3. Financial management, including budget planning, analysis, and reporting
4. Organize and lead students, teachers, and curriculum to function cohesively
5. Maintain student records: enrollment, attendance, health, progress reports, etc.
6. Create a warm, positive culture and learning environment, emphasizing high expectations related to academic, personal, and Jewish values for all stakeholders
7. Hire, train, supervise, evaluate, and schedule teachers, Youth Director, classroom aides, and staff
8. Communicate effectively with family and youth in our community, who are critical for the long-term health and stability of synagogue involvement and growth, including contributing a monthly article to the congregation newsletter
9. Hold teacher/staff meetings to ensure continuity in communication and provide opportunities for professional development and in-service education
10. Set a cohesive vision of learning for youth and families in collaboration with clergy, board, early childhood director, lay committees, and teachers/staff; collaborate in reviewing and updating Religious School’s existing Jewish and Hebrew curriculum
11. Attend Religious School Parent Orientation to present Religious School and synagogue offerings and requirements
12. Presence at Sunday morning and Tuesday afternoon Religious School; participation in HJC’s Early Childhood Center Friday morning clergy-led Shabbat services
13. Act as liaison between Early Childhood Center and Religious School in special congregational services and inter-generational, and inter-faith programming
14. Collaborate with clergy, Board, and committees (eg, Religious School Parents, Sisterhood, Men’s Club, Youth Group, etc.) on religious and curricular programming and content, as well as recruitment and outreach to the larger community
15. Organize (and attend at least a few times per year) student/family workshops; monthly Friday and Saturday Shabbat services; and continued family education, post-B’nai Mitzvah, and holiday (eg, High Holiday (required presence), Sukkot, Hanukkah, Purim) youth programs
16. Attend (as needed) at Religious School Committee and Board of Trustees meetings
1. Excellent administrator
2. Thoughtful planner
4. Highly-effective communicator
5. Knowledgeable in creating and delivering an engaging Judaic curriculum
6. Coordinate holiday events, extra-curricular activities, and enhanced Shabbat-related experiences
7. Warm and welcoming towards all congregant families and their children, including those who attend Jewish day schools.
8. Flexible toward alternative models of Jewish education
9. Experience with digital learning
1. B.A./B.S. or higher degree in education and/or Judaic Studies
2. High-level experience in education administration, including budget and human resource management. This could be at the Departmental level (eg, Director of Hebrew Education) or institutional level (eg, Principal).
3. Experience in Jewish education, including teaching and curricular coordination
4. Knowledge of Hebrew preferred
5. Understanding of Conservative Judaism
|Benefits||Paid vacation, sick leave, leave early for Shabbat, Jewish holidays off|
|Ad Posted On||2020-07-01|
|Times this Ad has been viewed||769 times|
|Ad is posted for||180 days|
|Categories||Hebrew School/Sunday School|
|Focus||Education & Schools, Synagogue|
|Organization Name||Huntington Jewish Center|
510 Park Ave.
Huntington, New York
|Application Instructions||Please log in to Apply|