The Director of Communications and Marketing provides strategic, pro-active leadership in communications and marketing for Temple Emanu-El in Dallas. The Director leads the development and implementation of all marketing, communications and brand strategies in order to strengthen Temple's engagement with members, the Dallas Jewish community and the broader public. As a member of the senior staff, the director has a mission-critical role in advancing organizational communication priorities and works closely with each stakeholder group at Temple to actualize their communication needs in a professional and timely manner. The Director will bring subject matter expertise across a variety of communications needs and platforms to this role.
Key Responsibilities of this role:
• Develop and implement an integrated Temple-wide strategic communications plan in order to engage current and future congregants and stimulate maximized engagement of our community.
• Create and deploy effective processes across the organization in order to meet the strategic communication goals of Temple Emanu-El.
• Coordinate crisis communications for the synagogue.
• Interact with clergy, professional staff, boards and congregants to cultivate, integrate and make resonant the various messages of all constituencies.
• Oversee the creation of fresh and innovative creative content that not only informs people, but also generates excitement about Temple and Temple activities.
• Manage and collaborate with the Communications Associate (full-time), Graphic Designer (full time), and Senior Writer (part-time) to organize and coordinate all internal and external communications projects.
• Build and maintain working relationships with leaders and stakeholders in order to build trust and partnership across the organization.
• Identify and bring best practices and industry standards to ensure that Temple is at the forefront of marketing and communications trends, as appropriate
• Oversee the creative and editorial direction, development, and production of all Temple communications (i.e: website, print and on-line publications; social media; marketing and advertising), including recruitment, retention and management of outside creative agents as necessary
• Provide strategic oversight and support for membership, programming, educational and development materials
• Collaborate with clergy, staff and lay leadership
Required Skills and Experience:
• 7-10 years of experience in a similar role within a religious or non-profit organization.
• Ability to manage a variety of communications activities at the same time, making sure there are procedures and chains of command in place
• Experience with developing communications and content across multiple types of media including but not limited to: live streaming, digital signage, text messaging, print production, and mailing services.
• Demonstrated success with strategic planning to develop and implementation of comprehensive marketing plans and communications.
• Demonstrated skills in effective leadership, supervision and teambuilding with Communications Team and other staff.
• Demonstrated proficiency in writing, editing, story/image coordination, publication design, and social media and website management.
• In-depth experience with print production, including advanced pre-press design and production, working knowledge of Adobe CS and other graphic and text platforms utilized by the Communications department.
• Creative problem-solving and consensus-building skills.
• Budgeting, purchasing and vendor management skills.
• Web design and content management experience.
• Demonstrated professionalism and strong interpersonal skills that allow for effective two-way communication with clergy, staff, members.
• Knowledge of, or openness to learning about, Jewish rituals, holidays and practices. This is essential to achieve effective marketing within a Jewish institution.
Temple Emanu-El, Dallas is a large, vibrant Reform Jewish congregation of over 2500 households. We are looking for someone who cares deeply about our organization's vision and mission, has extensive experience in non-profit communications and marketing. and will collaborate with a team of professionals and lay leaders to develop a strategic and integrated plan to promote all activities throughout the congregation.