The school nurse consultant is a registered professional nurse working in the school who strengthens and facilitates the educational process by improving and protecting the health status of the RZJHS student population. The school nurse is uniquely qualified in preventive health, health assessment and referral procedures.
1. Possession of a current license to practice nursing in Illinois
2. Three years’ experience as a professional registered nurse; experience as school nurse is strongly preferred
3. A baccalaureate degree in nursing is required.
1. Maintains, evaluates and interprets health data to accommodate individual needs of students
2. Communicates, plans and implements school health management protocols for the student with chronic health problems, including the administration of medication and shares information with essential personnel
3. Develops procedures and provides for crises intervention for acute illness, injury and emotional disturbances
4. Promotes and assists in the control of communicable diseases by assuring compliance with immunizations and notifying parent population when necessary
5. Acts as a resource person for health concerns
6. Assists in the formation of health policies, goals and objectives for the school
7. Communicates with parents as needed
1. Maintains and updates cumulative health records in file form and electronically via Power School.
2. Maintains daily self help care log and health/treatment log via Power school.
3. Maintains and updates Emergency Action Plan books located in office and teacher work rooms.
4. Inventories and maintains emergency medical supplies throughout the school ( basic first aid bag in teachers drawers, intermediate first
aid kit in teachers work room; Emergency bag in office and Epi Pen cabinet; AED maintenance; school nurse office supplies)
5. Organizes medication, documentation and administration per state of Illinois law (Epi pen, spare inhaler, OTC medication, daily prescribed
medication, as-needed medication)
6. Helps develop and revise health policies, procedures and standing orders.
7. Reviews, revises and implements emergency policies, including inservice health and safety programs for personnel.
8. Works and communicates with personnel involved in first-line responding (front desk, athletic director, administration)
9. Verifies emergency information and treatment plans for students participating in day and overnight trips
10. Reports regularly to administration regarding changes in health status of student.
11. Updates and files state reports to the Illinois State Board of Education.