Maimonides School, a Modern Orthodox day school in Brookline, MA, is seeking a qualified and resourceful Human Resources generalist to support our business office in ensuring smooth and efficient operations. The HR generalist will have both administrative and strategic responsibilities, spearheading key functions such as hiring, contracting, compensation, and benefits. At Maimonides School we understand that our school thrives when our faculty and staff thrive, and that starts by hiring the right HR professional.
This is a salaried position at 45% time, reporting to the Director of Finance.
Objectives of this Role
• Provides guidance and interpretation of policies and procedures, ensuring adherence to regulation and applicable employment law.
• Leads process improvements, including technological, in all facets of HR administration.
• Mentors managers with respect to human resource practices and coordinates HR processes involving managers and others.
• Administers data and information related to HR functions so that timelines are met and internal stakeholders have timely access to it.
Employment and Recruiting
• Coordinates hiring process and supports hiring managers with various elements of the hiring process.
• Manages annual re-contracting process in which contracts are issued to all returning faculty.
• Coordinates new hire onboarding including review of company policies, benefits, and introduction to our payroll employee self-service module.
• Conducts employee separation process including cancellation of benefits, employee communication/paperwork, vacation calculation, and exit interview.
• Maintains personnel files and HR filing system.
• Develops, edits, and updates job descriptions.
• Communicates changes of personal information, benefits, and salary to payroll and benefit providers and to internal stakeholders.
• Responds to employment and salary verification requests.
• Administers all benefit programs, including but not limited to medical, dental, life, disability, HSA, HRA, FSA, and 403(b).
• Assists with annual review of benefit plans, coordinating open enrollments and orientation for employee benefits programs.
• Manages employee self-service benefits enrollment through our payroll carrier, updating plan information annually and processing benefits change requests.
• Processes invoices for payment; reconciles benefit invoices with payroll reports to ensure proper deductions.
• Assists staff in understanding benefits, resolves discrepancies, processes claims resolution, and provides clarification on policies and procedures.
• Administers all leaves including FMLA and parental leave.
• Provides information and guidance to employees on policies and procedures, absences, visa status, conduct, grievances, and other employee relations matters.
• Advises managers on hiring, disciplinary, and termination procedures and supports them with other personnel matters.
• Assists with annual update of employee handbook and other materials.
• Serves as the primary payroll backup.
• Other duties as requested by the Director of Finance or Chief Executive Officer.
Skills and Qualifications
• Bachelor’s degree.
• Proven success working in an HR department; 3+ years of experience.
• Detail-oriented with the ability to handle multiple projects/tasks, prioritize work, and meet deadlines.
• Strong interpersonal skills and ability to navigate sensitive employee conversations.
• Demonstrated effectiveness in written and verbal communication.
• Technology and systems acumen; proficiency with MS Office and HRIS systems. Knowledge of Paycom a plus.
• Competent math and data skills sufficient to calculate salary changes and to compile and analyze data.
We want you to be a part of our team! Maimonides is the only Modern Orthodox day school in the Boston area, offering an unparalleled dual curriculum in Judaic and General Studies. Join our family of outstanding educators and administrators who recognize each new day as an opportunity for creative ideas, collaboration, and connection. Maimonides is more than a school; it is a vibrant community whose members embody kindness and compassion for others.
Maimonides School is an equal opportunity employer committed to hiring a diverse workforce and sustaining an inclusive culture. Maimonides does not discriminate based on disability, veteran status, or any other basis protected under federal, state or local laws.