Congregation Beth Am is a large innovative Reform synagogue in Los Altos Hills, California. The Teen Education Program Director is responsible for coordinating and transforming all programming for 6th-12th graders, under the direction of the Director of Learning and Educational Innovation.
This full-time position is designed to focus on initiating new programs to draw teens into Beth Am involvement, beginning in the pre-B’nei Mitzvah years and extending through high school graduation. The position requires an individual who is visionary and creative, energetic, exceptionally well-organized, and able to form warm connections with our youth population and their parents. In partnership with educators, clergy, and lay leaders, the Teen Education Program Director will work to reimagine our education programs and youth groups to better meet the needs of Bay Area tweens and teens today.
Responsibilities of this position include:
• Lead the effort to redesign and reinvigorate Beth Am’s middle school and teen programming, creating a balanced menu of educational, social, spiritual, and community service offerings that appeal to teens with diverse interests, including but not limited to the creative arts, social justice, outdoor education, STEM, leadership training, etc.
• Initiate one-to-one outreach to 6th - 12th graders who are not currently engaged to form relationships, learn about their interests, and draw them into Jewish involvement.
• Supervise and develop a core group of teen leaders who will partner with the educators in planning and implementing activities for teens.
• Serve as Education Program Director for current 6th-9th grade programs, including Camp Beth Am and Lunch & Learn. Responsibilities include teacher supervision, curriculum oversight, parent communication, and student support.
• Partner with clergy to support current 10th-12th grade programs, Confirmation and the Civil Rights Seminar; including class trips to the L’Taken seminar in Washington, D.C. and Civil Rights journey to the American South.
• Coordinate Madrichim Teacher’s Assistant Program, including administration and programming.
• Supervise activities and staff of our junior youth group (BAJY) and high school youth group (BATY) and help to integrate informal education opportunities with formal education offerings, creating a unified teen program.
• Support marketing efforts for existing and new programs through email, website, social media, and other strategies.
• Participate with Beth Am’s clergy and educators in weekly Program Team meetings and be the “keeper of the teen engagement vision,” helping to guide and inspire other team members in their engagement efforts.
• Bachelor’s degree (required), Master’s degree (preferred) in relevant field (Jewish education, Jewish nonprofit management, etc.)
• 3-5 years’ work experience in a relevant work setting (e.g., education, non-profit, or teen-focused organization).
• We welcome applicants from a wide array of disciplines, educational training and professional backgrounds.
• Our ideal candidate will hold a big picture vision for teen engagement, as well as have strong attention to detail and administrative skills to implement innovative teen programming.
• Our desired candidate will be highly motivated, flexible, and receptive to mentoring. This person should be able to work harmoniously as part of a large professional team and should enjoy the prospect of planning and brainstorming with a talented group of colleagues and lay partners.