The Well, Metro Detroit’s nationally-recognized trendsetting and inclusive community- building, education and spirituality outreach initiative serving the needs of young adults and young families, is seeking a dynamic self-starter for a new full time Family Educator position to develop and build out our family education offerings!
Who you are:
We are looking for a thoughtful, intentional, warm and dynamic human being who’s excited about having an outsized impact in the lives of young Jewish families! You should have a background in Jewish education and/or administration, preferably with Pre-K through elementary school ages. This job is for you if you get excited about building curriculum, planning programs, connecting with young families, and the magic of experiential Jewish education! Creativity and flexibility are key for this role, as is the ability to work efficiently.
What you’ll be doing:
Family Education Series
The Well has piloted a yearlong family education series, serving a cohort of 15 families who have at least one kiddo between the ages of 4-6, and this position will be charged with taking it to the next level! This will involve: recruiting families, securing venues, planning curriculum, facilitating sessions, and being a resource and leader for the families participating.
• Managing monthly Sunday sessions at innovative locations in Detroit, with curriculum based around a theme of the month
• Helping families create their own traditions at home, sharing resources, and empowering them to make holidays and Jewish traditions meaningful in their own way
• Continually checking in with families throughout the year to make sure that goals are being met, and evaluating program at the end of the year Tot Shabbat and Young Family Shabbat Groups
The Well hosts a monthly Tot Shabbat for those with kiddos ages 0-4, and our Family Educator will be responsible for helping to coordinate and elevate our offerings! This includes everything from securing ideal venues, to helping with recruitment and planning, to infusing our gatherings with content-rich experiential ed moments!
Young Family Shabbat Playgroups
Our Family Educator will work closely with our team to support and help expand the number of Young Family Shabbat Groups we serve (currently 10 and growing!), providing resources on Jewish parenting, linking families to other opportunities in the community, and more!
If you bring a little extra pizazz and creative thinking to the team, we’re sure you’ll fit right in!
Skills you’ll need:
• Background and experience in Jewish Education; preferably with tots, Pre-K and/or elementary ages
• Experience with and openness to relate to people of all backgrounds, knowledge and observance levels of Judaism
• Highly organized, with a keen attention to detail
• Willingness to pitch in and take action -- a “can do” attitude!
• Strong communication skills, both written and spoken
• Comfortable leading small groups, facilitating and organizing meetings
• This position involves a flexible schedule, and you must be willing to work some nights and weekends (e.g. Tot Shabbats are 1x/month on Friday evening or Saturday morning, and Family Ed sessions are 1x/month on Sunday mornings)
About The Well and Detroit
The Well is a project of the Lori Talsky Zekelman Fund at Temple Israel, the largest Reform congregation in the country. Our belief is that Jewish community, ethics, values, and spirituality can and should be directly applicable to our lives, and should drive us to positively impact the world around us.
Detroit is home to the most exciting young Jewish adult resurgence in the country! With an affordable cost of living, Midwest kindness, quality professional sports, arts and culture, a rebirth of the city center (not to mention an incredible local food scene) and a Jewish community known for its generosity, we’re convinced there’s no better place to be to have an outsized impact and to call home!