Temple Israel Center, an egalitarian synagogue of approximately 725 families and committed to the principles of Conservative Judaism, is seeking a new Executive Director. We are a vibrant congregation located in White Plains, NY, about 45 minutes away from the heart of New York City and amid a rich Jewish community of five local synagogues.
The Executive Director (ED) serves as the Chief Operating Officer of the synagogue, leading key strategic initiatives and managing the day-to-day operations. The ED oversees a staff of 8 professionals and serves as an integral member of our leadership team. The ED will report directly to the President and work in close partnership with our new Senior Rabbi Annie Tucker, other members of the clergy, and lay members of the Executive Committee.
We are seeking a dynamic professional with impressive leadership, people, and administrative skills who can help us run our synagogue effectively and efficiently, attract and retain members, and think about new and innovative ways to achieve our mission.
The ED’s areas of responsibility include, but are not limited to:
• Overall Congregational Liaison – responding to congregant concerns and questions and developing a nuanced view of members’ satisfaction
• Management of Administrative Staff (e.g., finance, communications, maintenance) – providing inspirational leadership and guidance for our accomplished staff
• Lay Leadership Partner – counseling lay leaders on strategic priorities and tactical execution
• Fiscal Management Oversight – developing and managing to a budget in order to steward the synagogue’s finances
• Communications Oversight – leading an innovating and engaging communications strategy across digital and print media
• Membership Coordination – devising a system for quickly and warmly welcoming new potential members
• Building Management – working with our experienced maintenance staff to prioritize building investments and solving emergent problems
• High Holy Days Preparation – coordinating a seamless set of services and logistics to enable our congregation’s Days of Awe
• Cemetery Point Person – serving as a point of contact for congregants and for cemetery management
We are seeking an Executive Director who is:
• skilled in verbal and written communication for interacting with our members and other constituents
• able to exercise initiative and judgment to interpret and apply policies and to solve problems
• financially competent and possesses strong computer and technical skills