Congregation Beth Israel Judea is a merged congregation in the Reform and Conservative tradition, with 155 member families that form a center for progressive, egalitarian Judaism located in southwest San Francisco. Our multigenerational, participatory community welcomes all Jews and interfaith families along with their partners and friends. We value celebrations of the spirit, Jewish culture, our children’s education, and life-long learning, music, social justice and Tikkun Olam.
POSITION DESCRIPTION: Membership Manager
Hours: The position is part-time, up to 20 hours/week on average, exempt. Hours will vary based on Jewish holidays, member life-cycle events and other synagogue needs. The schedule will be flexible based on the exercise of professional judgment with the expectation that regular office hours will be maintained 3 days a week, Tuesday-Friday.
Pay Range: Negotiable based on experience.
Job Summary: As a senior staff member, the Membership Manager has the responsibility of being the face of the Congregation to our members and all others who have a connection to the Synagogue. Duties include overseeing our internal and external communications, training, mentoring and supporting volunteers, managing our member database, monitoring the synagogue calendar, and managing our office. S/he will work directly with our Board of Directors.
Reporting & Working Relationships: The Operations Manager is supervised by the Rabbi and is accountable to the President of the Board of Trustees. S/He works in partnership with the Rabbi, BIJ staff and lay-leaders, representing the officers and directors in administering the affairs of the congregation.
Duties and Core Responsibilities:
Volunteer Management: responsible for training, mentoring and supporting the congregation lay volunteers.
Renters/Vendors/Service Providers Management: Ensure that the needs of all parties are met. Work with Event coordinator to promote seamless event production.
Communications: Oversee all BIJ communication done by lay volunteers including the web page, bulletin, e-blast and other documentation as necessary.
Clergy and Spiritual Practices Support: Coordinate and support clergy and volunteers who oversee and implement the religious, ritual, spiritual and life cycle events for the synagogue and our community.
Board of Trustee, Team Leaders and Volunteer Support: Provide logistical support when needed.
• Significant administrative and management experience
• Excellent time management and organizational skills
• Strong interpersonal skills, including the ability to listen, interact and communicate with diverse personalities and hold confidential information
• Excellent oral and written communication skills
• Strong technology skills, knowledge and experience using database systems, managing calendars and organizing information
• Experience in website writing (WordPress), editing and management, plus creating social media campaigns a big plus
• Highly motivated self-starter with ability to prioritize, manage multiple assignments, and meet deadlines
• Works well both independently and within a team setting
• Knowledge and understanding of Judaism and Jewish communal life preferred • Experience with non-profit organizations highly desired
• Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent experience desirable
To apply, please send your cover letter and Resume as a single pdf document with “Membership Manager” i***************