Jewish Federation of Greater Philadelphia has an opening for an ASSISTANT CONTROLLER. This position oversees all campaign fundraising accounting and federal, state and local tax reporting to support Jewish Federation’s business model. This position reports to the Controller and supervises directly or indirectly the work performed by five individuals in the finance department. Major responsibilities related include:
Oversee revenue accounting functions:
• Supervise Campaign Processing Specialist and Sr. Financial Coordinator who are responsible for input and accuracy of donor pledges, payments and adjustments in the donor management system (DMS).
• Ensure that processes, procedures and controls exist to support the recording, tracking and allocating of Jewish Federation’s multiple revenue streams.
• Work with a Staff Accountant to ensure all campaign payable accounts are reconciled.
• Work with Jewish Federation program staff to establish processes and procedures for tracking pledges, payments and cash flow needs of restricted campaign gifts.
• Develop and produce standardized campaign fundraising reports.
• Serve as liaison with Advancement Services and IT to ensure back office operations are integrated and streamlined.
• Responsible for managing annual tax substantiation process.
• Responsible for audit preparation and working with auditors for all campaign-related areas.
Manage tax filings and compliance:
• Manage federal, state and local tax filings, including IRS Form 990/990T, 926, BCO-10, various state returns, BPT, BIRT and FBAR.
• Ensure all tax reporting deadlines and compliance are met.
• Work with Director of Treasury and Controller to ensure all activity is captured appropriately for Unrelated Business Income (UBI) tax filings.
• Serve as primary point of contact with tax accountant.
Support Controller in various areas, including but not limited to:
• Audit Support
• Financial Reporting
• Other duties, as assigned
Successful candidates for this position will possess the following skills and experience:
• A BA or BS in accounting. Additional education/training leading to a CPA or an MBA is helpful, but not required.
• Minimum of 10 years of relevant work experience in accounting operations, systems implementation, financial and tax reporting.
• Work experience in charitable nonprofit organizations is highly preferred.
• Advanced financial and analytical skills.
• Excellent supervisory skills. Proven ability to motivate and manage staff.
• Good communication and interpersonal skills to effectively deal with Jewish Federation management, multiple departments and staff.
• In-depth knowledge of GAAP, accounting theory and practice.
• In-depth knowledge of financial systems software. Experience in Microsoft Office, with a high skill level in Microsoft Excel is required.
• Sufficient manual dexterity for operation of computer keyboard and other standard office equipment.
For More Information and to Apply:
Submit resume and a letter detailing your qualifications and compensation requiremen**********************Jewish Federation of Greater Philadelphia's mobilizes financial and volunteer resources to address the communities’ most critical priorities locally, in Israel and around the world.